Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sliced Pork question

Options
The Bean
The Bean Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've smoked quite a few pork butts for pulled pork, but wanted to do some sliced pork for a change.

Do I sitll use a pork butt or should I get a different cut of meat?

Also, what temp should I pull it off the egg? I've been pulling the butt at 190 degrees and letting it rest for 2 hours. Is that still a good temp to pull it off the egg at and resting time?

Thanks!

Comments

• Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    If you're gonna slice a butt, I would guess that you would want to pull it at a much lower temp than 195F (like 160F?), so that the collagen is still intact and the meat will hold together better when you slice it. I've never done it so I'm not sure.

Pork loin might be a better/easier option, but of course I guess it all depends on the ultimate application :D

How do you plan to serve it?
  • The Bean
    The Bean Posts: 49
    Options
    sliced for sandwiches or just slided on a plate with sides.

It makes a lot of sense what you're saying about the lower temp. Will the pork be fully cooked at 165?
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    Oh yeah, it'll absolutely be done at 165F. Probably even a bit overcooked, depending on how you like it. :D

I'm not a professional chef, so I can't recommend the perfect temp for pork butt for slicing. :/ 165F will ensure it's cooked thoroughly though.
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    Pork tenderloin is good for slicing for plate or sandwiches.
  • Nole Egger
    Nole Egger Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm a new egger and have done sliced pork several times since I got the egg (about a month ago). I use a butt and cook to about 155-160. I would keep it on the lower side here if you like it to be nice and juicy. It will be plenty well cooked and should be really nice for slicing. With each cook I have backed the temp down each time and the last time pulled somewhere right in that range and it was the best one yet!

I pulled and put in the cooler with HDAF and towels for about an hour before slicing, very tasty. Just used a bbq sauce as an overnight marinade/rub and then straight onto the egg.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    When I do sliced pork I normally use a loin. Sear it at about 375ish and set aside while Egg comes down to about 300. Want take long because Egg will be on cold start up. Smoke at 275-300 till loin is 140 at the coldest point. Temp will rise some after you pull it off. I actually pull mine at about 135-138 but am using a Thermapen so I can check it easy to make sure of inside temps. There will be a little pink in the center but it is my experance with a loin if you cook that sucker to 150 or 160 you better have a jar of BBQ sause to drown it in! ;)
  • Wolfeman
    Wolfeman Posts: 18
    Options
    I cooked two pork tenderloins the other night since that is how they were packaged. I sliced one thinly and made sandwiches this week and they turned out fantastic. I threw in a little bit of apple wood chunks and cooked the tenderloins indirect using plate setter at 375 for about 35 minutes. I used the Dizzy Pig Raging River rub.

Turned out good enough that we offered to cook this for dinner for mother-in-laws birthday coming up.
  • Eggcited in Paradise
    Options
    I did a pork loin roast this weekend and it was fantabulous.

Slathered in mustard and rubbed with Bad Byrons Butt Rub. The roast was almost 5 pounds. I cooked it indirect at 325 dome temp for about 2 hours until it hit 145 internal. I took it off the grill and let it rest for about 30 minutes. The temp eventually hit about 150.

I used apple and pecan chunks for the smoke. The roast sliced up smoky, moist and delicious.

Good Luck!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    loins are fairly cheap and work well, do what JLOCKHART29 says. i would do two, cut off a roast section for dinner and the other section for sandwiches, the one for sandwiches gets taken off the grill and rested 15 minutes, then wrapped in foil and put in the fridge, the other gets rested and plated. cooling them down without slicing makes a better sandwich. loins are a good way to get rid of old rub, hit them hard.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it