Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I cooked some'en:Turbo ribs, Pablano's & shrimps

JLOCKHART29
JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally got a whole week end off and cooked for my riding partner and his wife. Been so long I decided to do up a triditional DP's Smoke Shack feed! :woohoo: The raws:
IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

Rubbed my ribs down with the house rub then wrapped and set frig for an hour or so while I got everything else preped.
IMG_0478.jpg

Picked up some corn on the cob and shucked it back like this:
IMG_0480.jpg

Wipped with EVOO and sprinkled with Tony's then pulled husk back and tyed. On the Small at 325 for about an hour and half rotating ends and positions every 20 min. till you can see kernels start to just wrinkle.
IMG_0484.jpg

Got some pretty Bhaut, ADP's and tabassaco pepper plants growing at the entrance to DP's but been so hot just plants mostly. No sets! :(
IMG_0486.jpg

While the corn was cooking I blistered up some Pablano peppers on the old fish cooker. Tossed them in the sink and sprayed water on them 3 or 4 times over 15 min. then just wipped the "husk" off. Cut and roll in egg then roll in panko crumbs. Stuffed with precooked sausage and what we call "round Mexican cook'en cheese". Get it at Walmarts in the Spanish section and got a little senorita smiling at ya on the package! ;) Off in sprayed La Cruset for about an hour at 300 untill cheese is melted well.
IMG_0482.jpg

Started off doing turbo but had to adapt. Use to make fun of people with damp lump. Mine never had time to get damp till last couple months. :blush:
Could get it up to 325 at first so ended up cooking between 250 and 325 and just winged it. Rack for about an hour and half then wrapped with dark beer for 30 min.
IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

Back on the Egg saused with house sause for another 20 to 30 min.
IMG_0492.jpg

Finished it up with some shrimps brushed with EVOO and a little DP's Swamp Venom.
IMG_0493.jpg

I know its been hot all over the US but untill we got a rain last week we were selling cows and fixing to start feeding hay. So bad the pond turned over. Lost about 200-250 bass between 2 lbs and 4 lbs. Note size of fish next to Auron in back ground.
IMG_0488.jpg

6-20-11405.jpg

Don't think any one left hungry from this one! ;)
IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

Some of you from Oklahoma Fest will remember Auron tearing out of his plastic kennel Cab at the motel Friday night. Well with all the OT I got this in last week. Don't think with this all weilded job he's going to do that again! :whistle:
2011-07-11_16-55-09_233.jpg

Comments

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    My friend DELICIOSO!!! What a feast!!! YOU ROCK :laugh:
  • Great post! Dang, that about says it all,huh? I love Poblanos/Pasillas roasted in my Egg. Yours look awesome and make me wanna go make some chile verde, one of my favorite foods in the world.

So sorry to see the heat having such a devastating effect around you. Hang in there.

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Wow! I wished I lived closer to you. I would be your newest best friend. :woohoo:

With all this heat it's hard on everything and everyone. Look at all them bass you couldn't get them in the freezer. Auron sure is a good looking German Shepard. When do you get your new house? Have a great work week. Tim :)
  • looks great....now i want to try some Pablano's...

did i get it right about 2 hrs total on turbo ribs?

did three racks last nite and wasn't too happy, 4 hrs at 275 then the heat spiked to 320 and i couldn't get it down...they would bend and begin to tear so i figured it was time...

Checked the temps and were low at 175 to 180, took them off indirect and put on the sause for about 15 min...

they just weren't as good as the last ones...

gonna try your method now...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• The food looks great and it's nice to see you back posting pics. I am sure your friends did not leave hungry after all that.

When I lived in Arkansas, there was no Mexican section in the Walmart!!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Eggceptional pics as always.... :)
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Dean.....Awesome cooks!

I've been missing your posts - glad to see you back cooking.

BTW, we will be in Hot Springs this coming weekend for our grandson's first birthday...
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Nice meal JL
    Looks like a well deserved weekend off
    Those are some great pics :)

Shane
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    All lokks great!! Glad to see you back on here! :) :cheer:
  • JLOCKHART29
    Woody remember mine were not the real turbo rib method. My lump was damp and couldn't get to 325 at first and company was coming so I had to wing it. Normally I start at 325 in the rack for about 50 min. then rotate the ribs for another 20 till I see the bone starting to pull back. Foil with beer for about 30 then back flat on grill saused till tinder. The trick to ribs if you foil to me is cook however long it takes till the bone just starts to pull back, foil 30 then finish. ;)
  • JLOCKHART29
    Must have been a loooooog time ago Faith!!LOL
  • JLOCKHART29
    Clark I would love to join you at the Arlington for a high doller beer or drink BUT as all ways I got to work. We haven't even took an overnighter up there all year! :(
  • JLOCKHART29
    Things are getting back to normal around hear Tim but not yet. Some health problems as well as a few other things that have kept us from getting the trailer yet. Got it picked out and price set minus cross the board rate increases but don't need the stress of moving along with other till everyone is squared away.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Wow, great looking eats! That Auron gets more handsome in every picture. Sorry to hear about the fish loss.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Heeee's baaaaack!!!! So nice to see you around these parts again Deane! Looks like you're bikin along just fine. Great meal and still being mean to that boy of yours. :laugh: :laugh: Pasture looks nice!
    You headed this way this year? You guys are always welcomed, know that.
    Be well.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    OH NO!!! Auron is in Doggy JAIL! :( Miteefine lookin cook. :)
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    JL, you got that right, no one left hungry but I'm hungry looking at the pictures. geez, poor Auron, that thing can cage a wild tiger :whistle:
    Gary
    canuckland
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    That's one hell of of feed. How many peple did you feed. I have some shrimp in my feezer from baja that I need to cook, tjose look great. Thanks
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Great looking food and property you have there! Sorry to hear about your fish. Not much you can do about the D.O. levels in this sort of heat.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Wish you all well. :)

All in good time. :)
  • Misippi Egger
    Speaking of work. I am back up here tonight after a brief 30 min. at the house. :(

Got a lady nice and comfy while we wait on the little bambino to come out and join us! :ohmy:

Jana told me tonight that she booked us at the Arlington for the weekend! Sorry to miss you... One of these times I'll get to treat you to a beer (or 2). :woohoo:
  • JLOCKHART29
    I know that Molly and appreciate it. As bad as I hate it right now I'm just hoping we get to make a trip for a couple days to Orleans before winter closes in. Really miss a big trip this year but things just haven't worked like I wanted. Good Lord willing I'll be back out there next year.
  • JLOCKHART29
    That epedural doing her right ay?!! :laugh: Hope ya'll have a good time this week end. I know you will seeing your boy. Only made it one time last year and havent been there a time yet this year! :(
  • Misippi Egger
    Yeah. Good epidural, though I struggled a bit placing it initially. Shouldn't be too much longer, I hope :unsure:

Man, you gotta cruise up to H.S. more often - ya know what they say about too much work and no play.....
  • JLOCKHART29
    She domino yet?! I'm the only one supposed to be working this late Clark!!
  • Misippi Egger
    Got epidural out a little after 11:00 pm. Cute little boy.
    Then got to go home - with no further calls :woohoo: :woohoo:

And the bonus, I discovered when doing the paperwork - she had 'real' insurance! I will actually get paid for that one!! Pretty rare for nighttime OB. :(

Had today off - made up a large batch of AZRP Fire-roasted Salsa.......