Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye Advice, Please!

Options
Rauchbier
Rauchbier Posts: 24
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum
I just got some beautiful 1.5+" thick ribeyes from the butcher, so I'd greatly appreciate feedback on procedure that has worked well as these are the thickest steaks I've cooked to date. Stuff like how long do you leave the steaks out prior to placing on BGE, what temp is the BGE when you put the steaks on, about how long are the steaks on each side, what temp is the meat when you pull it from the BGE, how long do you let the meat rest? Anything else? Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Jim
Purcellville, VA

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Reading the forum you can find out all about Trex'ing a steak.

Here it is for you.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?searchword=trex&option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=search
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Jim,

This info coupled with a decent thermometer are the most important items, once you've got an egg. Also, note that the meat can/will continue to cook during the much needed rest time. The distance they conntinue to cook depends mostly on inertia. So the hotter the fire and/or larger the piece-o-meat, the more it will cook while on the counter.

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/doneness_chart.htm

Now regarding cooking method...that's the fun part, cause you need to try all the different ways and see what you like. ;)

With fat ones, I'd say start with the hot-tub method. I put a large pot in a sink 1/4 full of the hottest tap water you have and then put 100º water in the pot. Make SURE the meat is in a dry bag situation and then put them in the 100º hot-tub for about an hour. Then when they hit a nice hot grill (500-650 is plenty) you really only need to sear them for a medium rare finish (pull at 125ish) Also know that those temps will burn just about everything other than salt, so I apply the rub right after I flip the meat, that or right before the rest period.

Loads of ways to cook a killer steak. Just don't overcook it. B)
  • Egghead123SC
    Options
    Fairly new also, and here is what has worked good for thick ribeyes if you do not have a grill extender/adjustable rig yet.

Get egg up to 650 degrees. Put steaks on and sear for two minutes with grate on top of firebox. Flip after two minutes to second side. Then, totally close the bottom vent and the top cap, turn steaks back to first side, and leave on for about 3 to 4 more minutes. You need a thermpen thermometer, and I pull off grill when internal meat temp is 130 degrees. Let rest 10 minutes and eat. (PS--make sure you ahve calibrated your dome ththermometer on the egg--they often are 50 degrees off from factory)

If you have a grill extender, my recent variation is to pull steaks after second side is seared, put in grill extender and bring temp down to 400 degrees (takes about 10 minutes). Then put steaks back on high grate until internal temp is 130 degrees on meat. This method about 6 minutes more for the second stage.
  • Rauchbier
    Rauchbier Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I decided to try the hot tub method and it produced great results with a uniform finish throughout.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Rauchbier,

That is the beauty to it. coast to coast redness :) Another way to get there is the reverse sear. You would start by roasting a big steak like that, up high in the dome and away from the coals (350º fire), and when the internal meat temp hits 90-100 you pull them off the grill to chill. Then open the lower vent completely (screen shut if on a wooden surface) and remove the daisy wheel completely and get it up HIGH in temp 600ish is enough then sear both sides to your desired 'look' on the outside, and of course checking the internal temps. This will produce a similarly great steak with a little extra smoke flavor.