Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bear with me on these roll ups

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
IMG_0240.jpg
<p />Per suggestion from AJay I substituted prosciutto ham for the regular ham in Boccie's recipe. I have these puppies ready for a cook later tonight - long story - I have to wonder won't the cheese melt and run out even through they are rolled as tight as I could? I ended up skipping the rice after seeing how big these things turned out but will be sering with some rafts of fresh asparagus.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    RRP,
    I was thinking procuitto on the outside instead of bacon. Wrapped around a couple times.
    Dang Max, has got me using that stuff on everything.
    Let us know.[p]Mike

• RRP,
    oooohhhh I love corn season! It is about a foot tall here in AZ, the month of June is heaven with all the fresh sweet corn you can stand!![p]Looks Good!

• ajay
    ajay Posts: 47
    Options
    RRP, Not that it matters, but my suggestion was indeed to wrap the Prosciutto on the outside. It will be great no matter where you put the imported ham. I tend to pack the cheese more or less in the center of the rollups figuring that with heat it will start melting and run a little in both directions.[p]More to the point, yes some cheese might (will) leech out, but no more than it does when I do ABT's.[p]With either bacon or Prosciutto on the outside, you can arrange the wrap to cover the ends somewhat.[p]I think you'll be in for some fine eating.[p]Regards,[p]ajay
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    RRP, WOW !! Ron, those look, mighty fine .... and not even EGGED yet !!!

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, are you using proscuitto for abt's instead of bacon?
    All the time?
    Usually?
    Scott?

• RRP
    Options
    ajay, darn - I wondered about that, but since I had to get these made I just went for it as I knew I couldn't contact you in time. Besides the prosciutto slices were thinner than my bacon so I figured it might tear to piece in the wrap process.
    BTW though about your comment on ABT's losing cheese - I never have that problem as I carefully run a sharp knife under the "doily" under the stem and the "butth*le" remains in tact with no leakage. One last question - are you cooking this year at Hearth & Patio's 3rd annual event Saturday, June 4th?

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    ABTs2.jpg
    <p />Borders,[p]Yep, usually. I cook indirect at 400. If I don't, I make sure the bacon lays on the counter for a couple hours, so it is nice and thin and easy to work with.[p]Look at these babies.
    proscallops2.jpg[p]Scallops[p]Mike

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Morning RRP,
    I use Canadian bacon on the inside. Dizzy Pig & John Ash recipes alternate. Prosciutto ham on the outside sounds interesting, I'll have to try it.
    bruce

• RRP
    Options
    tn slagamater,
    here you go...
    IMG_0240.jpg

on the grill with asparagus rafts on top
    IMG_0241.jpg

and then in to the kitchen before being served.
    IMG_0243.jpg

BTW they are history now!!!

• ajay
    ajay Posts: 47
    Options
    Well, how were they? They certainly looked great in the photo's. I had grilled asparagus for the first time recently at Chef John's in the North end of town. They were really good.[p]
  • RRP
    Options
    ajay,
    Pat and I always rate the first attempts separately and then discuss the next morning - unless we agree to pitch right then and there and eat cold sandwiches!!! - they were good and I thank Boccie for the premise. I think I'll try again with thicker prosciutto and a cheese with more punch. As for the asparagus - those raft's are so easy and fall off the log simple! And at $2 a pound you can eggsperiment with many rafts.
    BTW Chef John's is about a half a mile "as the crow flies" from our home here in Colony Point.