Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What\'s with this handle guy?

hornhonk
hornhonk Posts: 3,841
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You be the judge. Read the comments. Am I reading this wrong? :S I removed his address.

http://planooutlaweggfest.com/

Comments

• Wish you had left the addy. I am certainly not interested in the product, but would have made putting him/her in his/her place easier. I tend to be a lurker, but it's getting a bit silly now with all the promos.
  • jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    I'd be tempted to remove his posts completely, as if he never posted.
  • Ok, I have to jump in here. I don't know what Forum you are referring to in Texas and I am sure not that guy. You guys just like to have a witch hunt and I guess I'm it.

I sign Marty Leach or thehandleguy. I am proud of what I produce and hide behind nothing.

Have fun with your nonsense....

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"

• Brutal! I will donate a prize to the raffle Steve! i would be happy to! :)
  • bellestad
    bellestad Posts: 11
    I'm not a marketing expert; however, I don't think that is the kind of "free advertising" one wants....
  • GeeCee
    GeeCee Posts: 10
    Where is the outrage about the DP store opening which has been posted here so many times? I guess the OT police has more than they can keep up with! Don't get me wrong, I buy from several members here and they have great stuff, but isn't it fair for everyone to sell if some get to do it? A lot of them even have links on their profile, which doesn't get much more blatant.
  • I was sent a notice from the Forum Police to remove my info, I guess there is a away for indirect advertising, meaning other people do it for you, ;) , It's ok with me, I really would appreciate if everyone would just get along better and really keep it a friendly forum to help and share with one another.

When I was at the Eggtoberfest in Tucker (2009) and met a lot of people and they were all amazing individuals. Eggheads are providers, providers that like to entertain a lot and have friends and family over. Imagine 3000 people together that are all the provider/entertaining type. What a blast the Eggtoberfest was, I really feel like this forum is a great place for individuals of this type to converse together and build great friendships.

If you are not of this type, your negative or unhelpful comments are not welcome here. It is because of the people on this forum that have attended Eggfests all over the North America, and especially the ones that I have become friends with that I thank very much for giving me the confidence to come out with my own brand of BBQ Seasoning/Rub.

I love being part of this forum, I just wish I had more time, work just gets in the way!

I will be attending and cooking in the Niagara Eggfest again this year. If any of you attend please stop by my tent and say hi, I enjoy making new friends.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    I really hope he was only joking. If not he is a one way piece of TURD!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    OT...give me a break...where else would one be expected to announce an unpublished "open house" free of charge type event at a Big Green Egg retailer...I fail to see where any of the forum posts regarding this event are "selling" anything....promoting...sure...but if you can't promote the big green egg on the biggreen egg forum...then you missed the point and you're looking at things wrong...
  • It's not about the fests and promoting the Egg. It's everything else that is done around it on the forum not at a fest. It bothers me to see people go at eggers on here when really, at a fest everyone is great to be around, and everyone is welcoming to each other and newbies.

Some use this forum to promote there own stuff and some don't. Some are asked like myself to remove a url address when some others still have it, oh well I guess.

In short, let's try to keep the forum and eggfests around the countries a great place to be, that is all I mean.

Cheers to all Eggers everywhere!
  • Amy S.
    Amy S. Posts: 70
    People are upset because he wouldn't donate? I guess we would need to know why. Maybe he has been burned a lot. That is starting to happen to me. More and more, the general public just isn't nice and you get tired of it.

My son was cheated this week because of his generosity. Generally, I like to loan my stuff out, but people don't take care of it. I have had to stop all together.

By the way, I kinda like the handles. I would expect to pay for mine.
  • smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Look at my post count... I do not post much (but have lurked for a few years) and may get blasted for this.

Seriously?? Let's call a spade a spade
    if you are anywhere near Manassas Va today, come on out and check out the new dizzy pig bbq store!! Nature Boy and I will be there cooking up some goodies for the customers. . .and we have everything you need for your bbq needs. .. big green eggs and all the eggsessories, all kinds of tools, charcoal, sauces (blues hog, butch's, big bob gibsons), and of course,. . ..oh yeah. ..

DIZZY PIG RUBS!!!!

some come on out and see us from 10 -4. . .

as my new saying goes:
    "if we don't have it, you don't need it!"

I believe that is going over the "Hey we are having a free event, come on out."

I am all for long time members and active posters to get a little wiggle room on the forum rules but this is the second week of similar advertisements. Not that I mind... I intend to visit the store (another weekend when it is cooler and no reenactments going on).

Marty/TheHandleGuy has been blasted for a minor infraction that he apologized for and he has continued sticking and being an active poster. Btw... I think he handles are nice and are on my list to purchase.

If folks are going to jump up and down about the forum rules there needs to be some line the regulars should not cross as well.

Just saying...

-smak
    and buy my product too... [yet to be identified]
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Kinda like.. 'what's good for the goose is good for the gander'..~~
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Just a thought, maybe the owner of the forum could add a "For Sale" section to the forum. I for one would like to have a area to advertise or research things for sale. I think it would be helpful to be able to have a section for selling items, how many Eggs for sale have we found on Craigslist that someone wanted? Maybe a forum member has a better price or found a better item for something you are looking for. Just a thought.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • hornhonk
    This is apples and oranges. The forum is one thing, posting on an Egg Fest webpage is another. I was surprised that he posted his ad for his handles, but approved it because I thought it would be a good thing for the fest and Marty. 200,or so, people would have had a chance to actually see and touch the handle and he probably would have made a lot of sales. If Marty didn't want to donate one, that's cool.
  • Let me clear here. I did not post to sell anything at any Eggfest. I have never gotten on your Plano Web site. I am at a total loss here how, apparently, I am being blamed for something that somebody else is driving.

This kind of reminds me of the old days with Joseph McCarthy calling someone a Commie to ruing their reputation.....

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"

• This fight has been called due to BBQ needing to be cooked...

Lifes to short fellas...This crap aint that important...Just Sayin... :ermm:

Let get back to whats important and help out some new eggers...

Matt
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • Rascal
    I agree! Everyone take their medications promptly! In the meantime, I'm switching back to 'Animal Planet'~~
  • Rascal
    Now there's an idea worthy of consideration!!~~
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Ditto . . . Rascal, you ARE Animal Planet! :laugh:

Keep 'em smiling buddy,

Blair

• hornhonk
    I spoke to Marty on the phone and asked him about this. He said he didn't post it. I believe him. It looks like someone is trying to set him up. I hope not. Case closed. All the stuff has been deleted from the Plano Eggfest website.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    There you go think'n instead of shoot'n.

Spring "Call My Shot After It Hits Something" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Good, ya got it right from the source...

None of us mind promoting a bunch of forum members 'stuff' me included. There is only one or two established members that will self promote and the rest of us don't say much about those posts.

Time to get off this guys back and make him feel more welcome to the forum. If someone posts about his handles and he decides to jump in and clarify something so-bi-it other forum seller folks do the same.

Too much energy is being spend beat'n this guy up.

GG
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    I like that idea, and would would be willing to pay a bit.
  • GeeCee
    Selling...Promoting...Now that is some serious hair-splitting...
  • GeeCee
    Well said! I'm in the same boat you are in, a long time lurker, and have been cooking on the egg since 1996 so I am not exactly a newbie. If someone has a problem with a person, then don't read his responses. Seems simple to me!
  • hornhonk
    Marty lives in California. I traced the IP address to the Augusta, Ga. area. Someone is not playing nice.