Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boccie's smashed chicken breast roll-ups questions

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know, I know...
I'm slow to pick up on new things, but tomorrow night will be my first attempt at doing these according to Boccie's recipe.
Question 1 is how thick of ham are we talking about?
Question 2 is raised grid, but direct???
Question 3 I am thinking about serving with wild rice, however is there something that goes better with these?
Question 4 I Googled and found 10,200 references and decided to pass on reviewing them - so any secret or tweaks would be appreciated!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    rollupclose.JPG
    <p />RRP,[p]1: I would personally use "sandwich-sliced" ham, I mean, not the really paper-thin stuff, but you know what I mean. [p]2: I did my batch on raised grid direct, just I controlled the fire mostly by the top vent with the lower vent closed down as much as possible to maintain the temp - helps prevent charring and I think it just does a better job of cooking them evenly all the way through.[p]3: You can't beat grilled portabellas with these. But I like the sound of wild rice too - maybe serve them on a bed of rice or something - endless possibilities.[p]4: My biggest piece of advice would be DO NOT OVERCOOK them - I did my first batch 15 minutes the first side and 10 minutes the second and that was way too long. I would maybe go 10 the first side and 10 the next, but always start checking with your thermapen - as you know, temp is king over time. Oh, and do a good, overnight marinade on your chicken. And, one last thing - get the lean, center-cut bacon.[p]These are just my couple of pennies - experience and lessons learned and "things I'd do differently next time . . . "[p]Best of luck![p]TRex
  • Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    RRP,[p]The ham and cheese is sliced on the #5 setting at the deli. This is pretty thin. Each slicer varies a little, so if it falls apart then go up a number or two.[p]I cook on a raised grid. Below is the recipe again. I now marinate the chicken breast in Zesty Italian Dressing and it makes the rollups very good![p]Smashed Chicken Rollups:[p]Chicken Breast – smashed.
    Virginia Baked Ham
    Baby Swiss Cheese
    Bacon
    Tsunami Spin[p]Smash the chicken breast and lay out. Top with ham and cheese. Roll tightly and wrap with bacon holding bacon and roll-up together with toothpicks. Top with Tsunami Spin.[p]Get cooker steady at 350° with a raised grid. Turn rollups after 25 minutes. Finished in approx 50 minutes. Just make sure the chicken has reached 160° and the bacon is done.[p]Next time we will marinate the chicken first to add more flavor. Regardless these turned out very good.[p]prep1.jpg[p]prep2.jpg[p]ongrillraw.jpg[p]grilldone.jpg[p]inside.jpg[p]onplate.jpg[p]

• ajay
    ajay Posts: 47
    Options
    Couple of thoughts RRP. Marinate with something zesty using your Foodsaver. Doesn't take long to do. I've used Asiago cheese with chopped mushrooms and asparagus in the rollup. Wrap in imported Prosciutto. Yum.[p]ajay