Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Looking forward to a delicious Christmas dinner? Keep our Holiday Entertaining Publication handy throughout December for all your holiday dinner needs. But you can also find some of our favorites on our Country Christmas page, including Christmas Ham and Peach Cobbler. Happy cooking!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Al Capone (Pork) Roast

Bobby RBobby R Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my Large BGE for just over 3 years and have come to this forum often for the great tips, advice, recipes and to look at all of the great pics! I haven't really posted much, but wanted to share something I recently cooked that I think is pretty unique.

I went to see my butcher (i.e. new best friend since getting my BGE) and he had just made an Al Capone Pork Roast. I had never heard of it, but was told it was a favorite dish of Al's when he used to visit the Northern part of my State, Wisconsin. Basically a pork loin stuffed/rolled with Italian Sausage, Mozz Cheese and Salami. SOLD!!! :evil:

Cooked this 3.25 pound bad-boy indirect @ 300 with Apple and Cherry wood for good smoking flavor to about 145 internal; about 2 hours. Really fantastic stuff and the salami just put it over the top. The leftovers made excellent sandwiches the next day too.

Unwrapped and begging to be cooked:
Picture025.jpg

Simple Kosher Salt and Pepper seasoning:
Picture026.jpg

Off of the BGE to rest for a bit:
Picture028.jpg

Sliced and ready to be inhaled:
Picture029.jpg

Sorry for the blury pictures towards the end. The budget for upgrading the kitchen lighting has been redirected to BGE related activities. :whistle:

Thanks for looking and have a great day! B)

Bobby R
Milwaukee, WI

Comments