Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork

Options
Mark0525
Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know there's a million post about pulled pork and I've done them many times. I'm having a big picnic at my work and I'm planning on doing 4 of them. Can it be arranged on my lg egg? They aren't all the same size, should I put the temp probe in the smaller ones? Thanks for any help, Mark

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I just did four eight pound butts on my large last week for a wedding party. I put the temperature probe in the largest butt. I cooked indirect at 240 degrees and it took 25 hours to reach 205 internal degrees. It was great, but next time i will pull at 195 to save more of the juices in the pan for mixing with the pulled pork. I set the four butts on their end in the middle of the raised grid. I had to transport the pork on a two hour trip and was afraid it would dry out, so i made up a thickened beef broath which really came out good.
  • Mark0525
    Options
    25 hours, wow. I've never had it take that long normally it goes about 1 1/2 hours per pound. Thanks for the tips.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    This is the fifth time i've done four butts and they were all different. Shortest time was 18 hours. Remember, the amount of time the butts remain in "the plateau" changes from one piece of meat to another. I think it depends on the amount of fat in the cut of meat. I have had butts never hit a "plateau", while others stall for four hours??? And i have done seven butts at a time on my large in 26 hours.. You have to cook to temperature -- not time !
  • Mark0525
    Options
    any idea how to stack 4 in the lg egg
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    I just did a #8 but Sunday. Dome temp stayed at 250 the whole time. Took 16 hours pulled at 190. Everyone was glad they came, turned out great Sprinkled a little dizzy dust on it after pulling it. EGGCELENT.