Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good BBQ in Virginia Beach

BLDGMAN
BLDGMAN Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any good BBQ restaurants in VA beach?

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Get the seafood while your there. I live in the midwest and cannot get fresh seafood except farm raised catfish. Good BBQ can be gooten almostn everywhere these days.Good luck to all.
  • Woodchicks BBQ in on Battlefield Road in chesapeake is good...right next to VA Beach....Lee Ann Whippen is the owner and great lady (and she is a big green egger to boot!!) ...don't forget to try the sweet potato fries there, they are excellent!!..

http://woodchicksbbq.com/
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Really? I have eaten at both of her locations and both were terrible. I wondered if it was just me so I did a quick check over the internet of reviews on her place and they are horrible as well (90% of the people who reviewed it said it was bad).

I enjoyed watching her on BBQ Pit Masters. She seems sweet and obviously knows her Q. Plus she cooks on the BGE (she also uses a Weber). However, as many of the competitors will tell you, it is far different running a BBQ restaurant and doing it in a competition. Plus, she probably has some teens running her places and doing the smoking.

I could not recommend this place at all. If in the area, go the Johnson's BBQ. It is far better.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    I used to like Frankie's Place for Ribs, but since they moved from the Laskin RD location that was close to the oceanfront, I haven't been back.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • i'll admit i haven't eaten there in about 4 or 5 years....maybe with her focus on the new chicago restaurant (i believe she actually has moved there and is in that place most days now) she has let the woodchicks location go down hill ...too bad, i'm sorry to hear this. ...