Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Yellow Fin Tuna Belly?

Options
EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My Brother in-Law has some Yellow Fin Tuna Bellies and he want me to smoke them for my kid's Birthday Party for for the family. He is saying to smoke it at 175 for 2 hours.

Is this possible or better yet which is the best way to smoke these bellies ? Dome Temp ? What type of wood chips to smoke ? Internal temp when done ?

This will be interesting to do. One more thing, he is brining the Tuna Bellies first.

Thanks for the advice.

Gary

Comments

• TheHandleGuy
    Options
    That sounds really good! Temp sounds kinda low but 2 hours would make up for it.
    Personally, I would go easy on the intensity of the smoke and the amount.

Sounds like a real treat!

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Eggary: The belly meat of the Yellow Fin tuna is the most prized cut of the fish! Does he REALLY want it smoked? I mean...I know he asked and all...but does he really know what he has? Is the fish fresh? If yes, I would recommend it be served as a tatake or shashimi, or even a ceviche if fresh! Seriously, it is the prized cut! It is fatty and succulent raw (if fresh!)

As for smoking it...I would expose it to a slight bit of gentle smoke (like guava, pecan, etc) for no longer than 30 minutes... Again, I am 'assuming' (and you know what they say about ass-u-ming) it is fresh. I would add just a bit of smoke, but still not cook it through! JMO!!

More details if you have them please...