Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

New England tri tip, Santa Maria Style

doubleapexdoubleapex Posts: 61
edited 2:50AM in EggHead Forum
Being from California, and even visiting Santa Maria many times, it's painful living on the east coast and not being able to get a tri tip cut exactly the way it should be. Nevertheless, this is as close as I have come--and they turned out quite well...not exactly like the ones at home--but they'll have to do!

tritip.jpg

Comments

• I feel your pain although I've got 5 tri-tips in the freezer. Bummer you guys can't get them. I've noticed on a number of threads that they don't seem to be to marbled in the East, when you can get them. I wonder about that....?

I am loving the Tri-tip since I went to school in San Luis Obispo, just North of Santa Maria, where tri-tip was a college staple...

Nice post and good luck getting the tri.

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"

• r270bar270ba Posts: 763
    Any chance of getting a recipe there?  I just bought my first and would love to know how you do it.
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• jlsmjlsm Posts: 980
    And they are outrageously expensive out East. Twice sirloin at a good butcher's. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • A great Santa Maria Tri-tip recipe by veteran Egger Morro Bay Rich.  Rich has attaned our Eggs by the Bay Eggfest for the last 7 years and blessed us with this great tri-tip offering each year.  Always a crowd favorite.  Bookmark it folks.

http://eggsbythebay.com/Recipes.html

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 5,545
    Thanks.  Finally found somewhere near me to get good tri tip and am gonna try that recipe.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio