Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie question -- care for daisy wheel

Options
Salooski
Salooski Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got my BGE and was so excited to use it I cooked in the rain this weekend. The Egg did great (chicken wings, London Broil and gilled asparagus - yum), but we (my Egg and me) got pretty wet -- should I worry about rust, especially on the daisy wheel? I've dried it off, and it looks OK, and the Egg is covered -- anything to do or otherwise worry about? Thanks, and apologies if this topic has already been discussed. Salooski

Comments

• Salooski,[p]After cooking, I normally take daisey wheel off and put it inside the egg. As the egg cools down any residual moisture should dry away and minimize any chance of rusting.[p]EF
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Salooski,
    I've never worried about the daisy wheel rusting (I think there may be a tad of rust next to the screw but that's it). The only thing I do regularly is give the hinge (I have the old style) a shot of WD-40.
    And, don't worry about asking any questions we all had to start somewhere and we are here to help you as much as we were helped when we first came into the cult. There's only one dumb question . . . that's the one you didn't ask. Welcome

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Elmer Fudd,
    ditto[p]
    also helps render off any greezey fat that nay have gotten on it during the cook.[p]i actually think some gunk is good. if i shut my daisy, it is air tight from the slight amount of sooty residue i have ion it.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Salooski
    Salooski Posts: 2
    Options
    Sundown, thanks for the advice and welcome. I did a search in the archives and lo and behold, this had been discussed before. Measure once, cut twice, that's my motto.

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2003/messages/79943.htm[/ul]