Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yesterday's cook: wings! (lots of pics)

Options
Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday, I had a "simple" cook - a lamb patty melt and some wings two ways - asian & hot.

Of course, with me, even "simple" cooks can take hours... and it did!

Started off with 24 whole chicken wings, which I separated. Then I decided to give Alton Brown's steam-first method a go, and steamed them (3 batches, 10 minutes each):

IMG_6111.jpg

While the wings were steaming, I prepared the two rubs.

Raws for the asian rub: (star anise, ginger, garlic, fennel seeds, cinnamon, szechuan peppercorns, celery seed, and a couple of whole cloves... and of course salt & pepper):

IMG_6113.jpg

Raws for the hot rub: (brown sugar, parsley, marjoram, celery seed, onion powder, dave's insanity spice rub (habanero flakes), red pepper flakes, ancho powder, chipotle powder, cayenne, hungarian paprika, spanish paprika, garlic, salt & pepper):

IMG_6115.jpg

What better way to enjoy hot wings on a nice summer day than with the King of beers? :D

IMG_6119.jpg

For the asian wings, I used some leftover tare sauce from last week's yakitori cook. For the hot wings... I busted out the Dave's Ghost Pepper sauce, tabasco garlic sauce, dave's insanity spice habanero flakes, and pure capsaicum extract. mmmm

IMG_6121.jpg

To cook the wings, I stabilized the egg at 400 indirect, platesetter legs up with the CI grate.

IMG_6122.jpg

Asian wings on. Cooked about 15-17 minutes per side, sauced with the tare, then back on to finish for a few more minutes.

IMG_6125.jpg

Flip & zoom! Ready for the tare sauce.

IMG_6126.jpg

All done! Garnished with some sesame seeds, scallions, and cilantro.

IMG_6128.jpg

You have a date with DEATH! The "hot" wings on the egg. I think the lump was a bit jealous as to how hot these wings were ;)

IMG_6131.jpg

While the hot wings were on the egg, I prepared the lava sauce. Tabasco Garlic Sauce, Dave's Insanity Ghost Pepper Sauce, Capsaicum Extract, Dave's Insanity Spice Flakes, and Butter. Those dark red globules of pain floating around? The capsaicum extract.

IMG_6133.jpg

Went back outside to turn the hot wings, and noticed this over the fence.

IMG_6137.jpg

Hot wings turned, almost ready to be sauced.

IMG_6141.jpg

Wings ready to go back on the grill.

IMG_6143.jpg

Mmmmm looking good!

IMG_6144.jpg

All done!

IMG_6147.jpg

Removed the platesetter and brought the egg up to around 600F dome before putting on the CI skillet to cook some lamb patty melts. For the lamb burgers, I actually cut in some pork sausage and mint.

IMG_6149.jpg

Zea loves when I cook!

IMG_6150.jpg

Plated. Lamb patty melt, 5 asian wings, and 5 hot wings. I have to say the hot wings were the absolute hottest wings I've EVER had. My mouth literally felt like I stuck a piece of lit lump in it and chewed on it for 20 minutes.

IMG_6155.jpg

Comments

• Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    The heat wave must have felt COOL compared to your wings! Nice detailed cook and photos!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Everything looks tasty. B)
    Good pictorial.

I'd try a few of the lava wings as long as there's a twelve pack of Bud on standby. :woohoo:

What did you think about Alton's method?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Wow, nice cook Rez! I could have fainted just smelling the hot concoction you put together. :ohmy:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    Focker wrote:
    I'd try a few of the lava wings as long as there's a twelve pack of Bud on standby. :woohoo:

What did you think about Alton's method?

hah, many buds were consumed yesterday ;)

As for Alton's method... I couldn't really tell a difference in terms of how crispy the skin was... e.g. it wasn't any more or less crispy than cooking them strictly on the egg. However, that being said, I did find that there wasn't any burning chicken fat either which sometimes happens when you cook chicken skin-on, which is a good thing.

Will I do it again? Maybe, but not if I'm cooking 50 wings again... unless I can find a way to steam them all in one go. :D
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Options
    Great cook! I love the Penzey's paprika. We have a Penzey's retail store here, and I go in there just to buy the different types of paprika.

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Thanks for your input Rez.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Fletch 'n Teggxas
    Options
    Looks delicious! Love how those hot wings look
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Impressed. Very nice looking wings. I would have loved to hit those death wings. How did the steam bath do? Never heard of it before. Kinda confuses me. I would think it would make the skin more rubbery?
  • TheHandleGuy
    Options
    Dang. Really nice pics of the blazing event! I like my wings hot, but really! Great post. Thanks.

Large BGE, Santa Maria Pit, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, MAK One Star Pellet Pooper,  26" Weber, 22" Weber Performer.  Most have custom handles made by me.

http://www.amlwoodart.com

"Just living from one cook to the next"

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks like a really great meal. I'd try one or two of the hot wings, but they do look kind of scary.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings