Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hmm...passover brisket in the egg?

mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have this 5 lb, fairly trimmed brisket. The "traditional" way for me to deal with this is cook it for an hour at 450 (oven) and then pour some goo over it (apple juice, raisins, etc), cover it entirely in foil, and finish it off at 350 for another 2 hours or so. Should come out pretty fair. Was wondering if I do it on the large egg same technique (roaster, foil), if anything would be different other than the oven would be free to bake the tzimmes (which is a little mushy this year from overactive cuisinart finger). [p]mShark.. a little high from sniffing the haroset

Comments

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    MollyShark,
    The wife and I managed to get ourselves univited to our regular Seder this year, but when her cousin found out, she invited us to her house even farther away. [p]We did my wife's braised bisket in the Egg one time, and it came out fantastic. She slices one whole vidalia onion and lays it in the bottom of the pan and sets the brisket on the onions, then mixes up 3 or 4 packages of Lipton onion soup mix with water and pours that over the meat. Another vidalia onion sliced and layered on top of the meat and one onion soup packet mixed with a small can of cranberries brushed over the top of that. 325 degrees for about 5 to 6 hours. When it's all cooked, she pours off all the liquid and onions into the blender for a delicious gravy. [p]Mad Max also has a really good looking recipe for his Temple Brisket Championship Cook-Off entry somewhere's around here which he also did on the Egg. There's wine in his though, I'm not sure that you'd wanna substitute Maniechewitz.[p]Happy Passover to you and yours.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• MollyShark,
    here's what you do. . .take that brisket. . .season it a little with salt and pepper, or even some dizzy cowlick (not a heavy rubbing, just season). . .. set up our egg at 275 degrees grid over indirect plate setter . .. .put the brisket directly on the grid for 1 hour.. .let it get some smoke. ..then move it to your pan and put your liquid in it. .. let the egg go up to 350 degrees. ..put the uncovered pan back n the egg for 1 more hour uncovered. ..after the 1 hour is up. ..add some more liquid to replace what has evaporated. ..now cover really tight with aluminum foil and back into the 350 degree egg for a couple of more hours. . ..trust me, you won't be sorry. . ..just make sure you are putting enough juice to cover it about 2/3 of the way up the brisket. .. [p]this is how i do my flats, only with red wine and onion soup mix... the apple juice rasin thing sounds good too. .. [p]call me if you need to . ..703-517-3791. . ..

• MollyShark,
    I would hate to know a cow went through brisket removal surgery so it could be baked like stew meat. Smoke that puppy and make a cow proud!

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    We modified your idea a bit by cooking the brisket lo-n-slo (just salt and pepper) at 240 with apple wood over a drip pan for 7 hours. We finished it in the usual manner with onions, chopped tomatoes and some pomogranite juice, little sugar, in the oven for another two hours. Outstanding!