Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Cast iron grate care?

T-47T-47 Posts: 84
edited 3:00AM in EggHead Forum
I just picked up a cast iron grate for my BGE. I have searched the archives and am probably doing something wrong...I cant find any info on the way to best care for them? Anyone have a link or can offer some tips on the best way to make is stay in good shape?

Comments

• egretegret Posts: 4,089
    T-47,
    Here's some info :

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2005/messages/189204.htm[/ul]
  • eggoreggor Posts: 777
    T-47,[p]theres been a couple people here that have cracked their grate because they got thier fire too hot and too fast. prolly the best thing to make sure that it stays in usable shape is to bring the egg to temp a little on the slow side. next best thing, i hate to say it is, to cut the outer ring so that it can expand. [p]I don't have one, so take this with a grain of salt.[p]Scott

• Citizen QCitizen Q Posts: 484
    Picture003.jpg
    <p />T-47,[p]I've had my iron grate for almost a year now. I seasoned it new out of the box as any other cast iron; scrubbed it down hard with hot soapy water and a stiff brush, rinsed well with hot, hot water, rubbed down with crisco and heated for an hour at 300, then another rubdown with crisco and another 2 hours at 300 then let it cool in the Egg. [p]Since then I haven't done a thing to it besides clean big chunks with this little grill brush, it is practically maintenance free.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• D'manD'man Posts: 11
    Citizen Q,[p]Are cast iron grates available on-line....or where did you get yours?[p]
  • RRPRRP Posts: 20,990
    Dman,
    your profile says you live in Hotlanta so why not just go to the BGE store? Now OTOH your profile also says you use a medium, which to my knowledge they do not offer a cast iron grille for. I made one for my small and I offered up this post to make yourself one for your medium.

[ul][li]my solution for a cast iron grill for a medium[/ul]
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • T-47T-47 Posts: 84
    Dman,I ordered it from my dealer three weeks ago when i got my BGE.
  • Citizen QCitizen Q Posts: 484
    Dman,
    I ordered mine direct from the BGE Store in Atlanta. [p]Cheers,
    C~Q

[ul][li]BGE Contacts Page[/ul]
  • D'manD'man Posts: 11
    Citizen Q,[p]Thanks for the info Citizen Q.