Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best method for Prime Rib

Options
Harleydog77
Harleydog77 Posts: 217
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My dad dropped off a whole prime rib last night. He has had it in his freezer for quite a while (Booooooo!) I would like to cook this on the egg. I have never done this before. I would like to get everyone's opinions on how to cook it, whether I should defrost the meat and try to dry age it etc. I do not have any experience with dry aging, so if you suggest that I do so please let me know what I will need to do to make this happen. I would appreciate you input.

Thanks!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

End Sear...

Thirdeye's Standing Rib Roast Recipe

primerib.jpg

I did not do then end sear on this cook.

primeribcut.jpg

GG
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I agree in the reverse sear as well, but I also have learned that at least a 70 minute hot tub or even 90 minutes if it is large does wonders for a chunk-o-cow that big!

As for dry aging it at this point I wouldn't bother as it sounds like that beef may already have issues from been frozen for a long period. Save the aging effort for a fresher cut would be my suggestion.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Harleydog77
    Harleydog77 Posts: 217
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I am excited to cook this chunk of beef. I hope it turns out!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I didn't think about hot tub'ng, might be a great idea.

Ron, post your Au Jus recipe if you have it handy, it's been a long time.

Kent
  • RRP
    Options
    Sure Kent - glad to share it!

RRP's Au Jus Recipe

Basic recipe off internet which I tweaked 11 times so it's mine!

1 14 oz Swanson Beef Broth (box – not the can)
    1 10-1/2 ounce can of Campbell's French Onion soup
    ½ of the soup can cold water
    ½ teaspoon white sugar
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    ½ teaspoon of garlic salt
    2 Wyler’s brand beef bouillon cubes

Bring ingredients to a boil in saucepan, letting it boil for 1 minute then
    strain and discard onions. Serve au jus dipping sauce hot. Can be made 2
    days ahead. Makes 3 cups. BTW I also make a batch of this and then pour
    it in large ice cube trays. Two melted cubes make a wonderful Bloody Bull!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Folks this is really good tasting!!!

Kent
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    BGE'd one last weekend-nothing fancy; 250-260*F calibrated dome for about 30 minutes/lb to 130*F. Used cherry wood for smoke and passed the harsh critic (wife) test. Will do the next one same way-good luck!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Longrifle
    Longrifle Posts: 130
    Options
    Just curious why out of the box and not the can, I thought they would be the same just diffrent packaging. I get my Egg in two days. :) Life is good.
  • RRP
    Options
    Convenience mostly...maybe it makes no difference, but once I was using the canned stuff to enhance some French onion soup I swore I could taste a metallic twang so I switched to the boxed stuff then and have never gone back. OTOH I use that beef broth, but also chicken broth for other things as well, and I like being able to pour out as much or little as I want. Otherwise I would open a can and then figure out how to save the remainder or just pitch it.