Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

prime rib

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i am cooking a prime rib on the egg for first time. The weight is about 3.5lbs. read up on how to cook it. but just thought someone out there might have some useful advice. rubs? temps? how long? Thanks....

Comments

• Lysa,
    here is a link to how i do them .. firgure about 15 minutes per pound for medium rare. ...

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm[/ul]
  • Lysa,[p]
    I asked the same question 2 weeks ago, see what transpired: [p]Have fun!

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2005/messages/189396.htm[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Lysa,[p]On rib roasts, I like to use cooking temps in the barbecuing range (below 250°) rather than in the roasting range (250° to 400°). For me, a little longer cooking time at lower temps allows the heat to be conducted slowly into the middle of the roast, and prevents the edges of the slices or the end cuts from being more done than the center. I also like to sear at the end of the cook.[p]My favorite rub technique is adding a simple mixture of sea salt, cracked pepper and garlic powder to the roast, followed by a thin brushing of yellow mustard, then a little more of the rub mixture.[p]In my large, I set up for indirect heat, dome temp of 250° or so, rack temp of 225°. Removing at 130° and resting will yield a medium rare roast. I then wrap in foil & newspaper and into a prewarmed cooler for at least 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 450° - 500°, unwrap roast and place in a roasting pan on a rack. Crisp the roast for 6 to 8 minutes. Remove to cutting board, rest covered in foil for 8 to 10 minutes or so. If anyones slice is too rare, toss back on the Egg for about 45 seconds.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    IMG_0520_1.jpg
    <p />Lysa,[p]just wanted to toss in a couple of the picks of what my 4 bone prime looked like after after i did the sear on the egg after the low cook that thirdeye told you about and searing at the end.[p]IMG_0522_1.jpg[p]and just a reminder if you do the sear on the egg, after the slow roast, you will need to be prepared.[p]First thing is to be prepared to be able to remove the indirect setup while it is hot. Welding gloves are a must![p]Second, when the fat is burning off, there will be a ton of smoke and fire and you will need to be able to reach in there to rotate the lovin hunk of meat. better have clothing that is not gonna easily catch fire, and a serious duty lifting fork. If you have some Orka silicon mitts it would be even better if you are quick about it.[p]And last thing i can think of is a good fire extinguisher[p]I hope this didn't scare you off, you can always sear it in the oven like thirdeye said.[p]runnin with scissors[p]eggor [p]