Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE goes out

rperel
rperel Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been trying for days to slowly get my BGE toget low enough temp for my smiking (200-225). Every time I get below 225 it goes out in about 2 hours. Any hints? I started BGE and left it for about 15 minutes usiung firestarter, put in plate setter, waited for temp to get to 300, slowly closed damper (open about 1/4")and daisy weheel (open about 1/4) over 1 hour until temp got down to 225.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Don't let the egg get over your target cook temperature and you will be fine & Light in more than one place.

GG
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I agree with GG why go to 300 if you want 225, and I would recommend 250 dome rather than 225 it's much easier to maintain.
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Don't go over and try to cool it down. Slowly close the vents as you get close to target, then just glide into your temp.

Also 225 is hard to maintain. Most of us use 250 for low and slow cooks.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I agree with all the comments! Catch the temp on the way up and there is no point in going lower than 250.

I use a BBQ Guru and it will hold lower temps easily, but there is no point.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    not sure it makes any difference, but what size was your BGE?

I have an XL and typically do mostly low/slow at around 210-225. I start by using a 1/2 full fire-starter chimney and get this red hot. Next, I will pour it into the firebox and cover with additional lump to fill it to the desired level, add soaked smoking chips, set the daisy to have the petals open and the lower vent to 3/4-1 inch. It comes right up to 200-225 and will stay there for 15+ hours.

I do not yet have a plate-setter and to achieve somewhat indirect, I have the fire on the back half and meat on the front half in a throw-away aluminum pan to catch the drippings. Works so far. (last pulled pork was just absolutely delicious - as were the ribs and brisket and beer-can chicken).
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

As far as holding temperatures - On all eggs.

• asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    I typically let mine get to 300 before a smoke. Then I stir the coals, throw on a few wood chunks, and put the platesetter and meat on. It will drop down to ~200 right after because the ceramic hasn't heated up yet and the meat and platesetter are cool. Different story if you let it stabilize at 300.

I do this for a couple reasons:
    I want to be sure the lit coals are evenly spread
    To insure that the wood chunks actually light

I had it go out once, I think it burn out all the coals near the starting point and ran out of fuel. That is why I like to spread the lit coals. I light my XL with 3-4 paraffin chunks so that it is lit in a few places.
  • TNT54
    TNT54 Posts: 40
    Once the fire has gotten "established," whether at a higher temp or a lower temp, the fire shouldn't be going out with the bottom and top vents both open 1/4". The logical possibilities seem to be: 1) the air flow from the bottom vent to the charcoal is "blocked" somehow; 2) the lump is of poor quality and/or the pieces are too big to maintain a fire with low air flow; 3) the pieces of lump aren't in enough contact to transfer fire from one piece to another. I'd suggest taking everything out and making sure the charcoal grate is clean. Then when you put in the lump make sure there is some air flow through the lump and that there's a good mix of larger, medium, and smaller pieces. There's no need to get AR about it, but just make sure the lump is distributed to allow contact and air flow. If the air flow is good and the lump is good, the fire shouldn't go out with the upper and lower vents open 1/4".

I know others on this forum have more experience than I with the Egg, and I'm not dismissing comments about catching the temp going up, etc. But for me, that's more likely to affect your ability to reach and maintain a specific temperature. I think you either have a poor bag of lump, or the air flow is blocked somehow.

Good luck,

T.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Go to 250. There is not need for 225. Just means you have to wait hours longer for your food. Get a Guru or other pit minder if you must.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    It seems like most people's eggs like to cruise at 250. Below that there is so little air flow through the egg, that the fire tends to go out. I say shoot for 250 dome temp. That ususally equals 225 on the grate level, anyway. I actually go about 275 dome and that keeps it around 250 grate.

Is there any particular reason you are shooting for 225? Why is that your magic number? Plenty of people get fantastic results with brisket, pork and ribs going 250 dome and you won't have to worry about your fire going out.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mike_M
    Mike_M Posts: 11
    My thoughts exactly. I have the LBGE and have always been able to maintain 200-210 temps for hours. Does the OP live at a high altitude with thin air?
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Also have you calibrated your dome thermo....you may be trying to hold a lower temp.....