Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Missing a bolt...

Options
jostheim
jostheim Posts: 53
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I disassembled my XL egg tonight to dry fit it in my table (it fit!) and I noticed that I am missing one of the bolts in the spring assisted band, namely one of the ones that attaches the spring assembly to the band. This is obviously a problem and probably is why I had trouble getting my lid aligned (and had obvious smoke leakage).

This is a used egg, so I don't expect BGE to replace it for free, but does anyone know if they'll make me buy a whole new spring assisted assembly? I'd like to just buy one bolt (or all the hardware for the spring assisted assembly only). I'll be calling them tomorrow regardless, just wanted to see if anyone had a similar problem.

I guess the follow on question is, should I just go to my hardware store and try and find a matching screw/bolt (I have the other one on the same side and the 2 on the other side for comparison)?

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    jostheim,

I think this just came up recently. Here's the thread that should get you to what you're after. Once in the thread, look at Sparkys picture of said bolt to verify which one you need. If that's the one, then the link bellow, or RRPs post about Fastenal should get you rollin. Now keep in mind that some of those bolts on that XL assembly need to be kinda loose for it operate properly.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1114860&catid=1
  • jostheim
    jostheim Posts: 53
    Options
    Thanks a million! There is fastenal within 5 miles, don't know what I would do without the good people on this forum!
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    You can also buy just the hardware pack from BGE. They used to just give them to you, now they charge. Not all change is for the better...lol.
  • Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    Options
    If you dont get one from Fastenal leme know and I can send you one or 2. I keep a kit of just PARTS for the eggs as these ill CINCH bolts are not even ava thru any or my regular vendors at all....... 3 lengths of cinch studs.

If no luck leme know we will help ya out. I order a few hardware packs from BGE a year so if we need them we got'em
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Not sure which bolt you are looking for, but a bolt is a bolt (other than the self-clinching ones). Just check the markings on the head of it to make sure you get the correct grade. For example, the band bolts are grade 5 (three "notches" on the head). Looks like this...

7091ae03boltImage_4.jpg.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut