Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for probe insulating materials?

Options
Charlie tuna
Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a source for tubular insulating materials that i can insulate my probe wires with to extend their life ? I have noticed a few people on the forum using it and it's got to be better than "tin foil"! :huh:

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Just keep them under 400+/- and they should last quite a while. Mine are on 3 years without any problems. A 375º Turkey cook is as hot as mine ever get. Get a thermapen for all the hot stuff ;)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    years ago I thought the same thing as you and I purchased much-o feet of Cotronics tubing and made myself brass ferrules to keep it from unraveling.
    IMG_1429.jpg
    I used one probe side by side with a foil covered one and one night my temp got away from me (over 396° does it) and they both got fried!

I never bothered with the tubing again and just foil mine. There are those here who will argue that foiling does nothing, but what it does for me is my cables stay flexible and don't get brittle from a build up of grease, smoke and dirt embedded in that fine metal mesh cable sleeve.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.