Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guilty your honor

Options
Gandolf
Gandolf Posts: 906
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well I broke the cardinal rule with some very nice Baby Backs last night. Cooked the darn things at 240 for 6 hours like I planned instead of until they were done. Tasted great, but not very tender. Meat had not shrunk back from the bone tips, so I knew better than to take them off. I always (almost) cook to temperature or doneness on the Egg, never (almost) by time. Oh well, it was a pretty tasty reminder.

Comments

• Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Dave, you cooked baby backs for 6 hours at 240 and they weren't done??? Once in a blue moon, I'll let some go go 4 1/2 or 5, but then I'm trying to scrape them off the grate with a spatula because they got too soft and are falling apart. Have you checked your dome thermo lately? Do you foil like in 2-1-1? If you don't foil and your thermo is a little off, I could see them taking 6 hours maybe. My spares usually run about 6 or 6 1/2 hours, but never that long for BBs.

Trickiest thing for me to get right is steaks, I almost always overcook compared to what I'm shooting for and I'm sticking the dang things with a Thermapen constantly. :laugh:

Mark
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Mark,

Calibrating thermometer was my first thought too. Did them indirect for 5 hours and 15 mins. Then direct while saucing for the last 45 mins. At least they tasted good :-).