Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ chicken

Options
au4040
au4040 Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all, newbie on the forum but about a year into the Egg world. Somehow this was the first whole chicken I've cooked on it. Turned out REALLY well but I had a few questions.

Background info:
3.75 pound bird, brined for 4 hours, marinated in rub for 1 hour, plate setter, hickory and pecan smoke, 325 degrees for 1.5 hours.

1) The skin turned out some serious spicy flavor, not quite bark texture but still crispy - but I had a problem with it falling away from the pieces of chicken as I sliced. I'm sure that's a good sign of tenderness but anything I can do to keep it together?

2) The inside parts of the legs did not cook as well as the rest of the bird. Never flipped. Should I have flipped?

Thanks for the tips.

photo-4.jpg

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    When I cook dark meat parts I go 350 indirect for about 90 minutes until the internal temp reached 195. Not sure that would work for a whole bird as the white meat may dry out. Would recommend a thermapen as internal temp is the best way to know when your meat is done. -RP
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I am in the cook direct club and spatchcock the bird. Cook at 400 raised.
    Bird will take a little less than an hour but cook to temp please.
    I sauce the bird in the last 15 min.
    Do not brine myself, but if have the time leave in fridge uncovered overnight.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    I'm in the raised direct cook group for chicken. Usually 375-400*. Flip it a few times and the skin will get crispy. Also agree that a good thermometer is a must, suggest you get a Thermapen. A good investment.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Austex_Egger
    Austex_Egger Posts: 153
    Options
    Can'r really help with the sliding skin issue. I think that is just the way it is. :) Since I tried spatchcocking chicken, there is no better way. rasied grill, 400 (just did one last night). Although I've only had my Thermapen for a couple of weeks, I don't know how I ever lived with out it.