Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Temp Suggestions ?

Options
jasperga
jasperga Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi BGEggers -- I am doing my first vertical roaster chicken later today -- Its the receipe from the BGE Cookbook, brining the chicken and using my favotite rub --

I would like to know the forum's sense of breast and thigh temperature for safety and taste. We tend to like our chicken on the more done side, so your thoughts please !!

It is a small 4.5 pound chicken

Also, what wood if any would you add for a light smoked flavor?

Thanks

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

A lot of folks on the forum will say 180°-185° tigh/leg and 165° breast.

USDA has changed the safe to eat temperature to 165° for breast/thigh/leg and a turkey or chicken cooks well and tastes great at the 165° all over cook.

To double check just google USDA chicken cook temperature.

GG
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Safe temp has always been 165*, regardless of parts. In fact, if it's still a bit pink (particularly in dark meat), as long as it hits 165*, it is safe to eat. May not be the texture you want, but totally safe.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The lump by itself is often enough to give a good flavor to poultry. Otherwise, fruit wood is often recommended, or nut woods, often pecan. I've had good results from hazelnut shells.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    jasperga: Don't forget to rinse and dry after the brine (just to eliminate the excess salt from the brine).
    165* is the recommended internal temp for poultry. You might want to consider putting the bird in legs up, so they are higher in the dome. Dark meat always has a better texture cooked higher than 165*. Having the dark meat higher in the dome will cook those faster than the breasts.
    Did you consider doing a Spatchcocked bird instead? You can still pull the breast at 165, and the dark meat is automatically higher, just due to logisics.
    As far as wood, poultry picks up smoke QUICKly, so usually just the lump is enough. If you choose to add anything, make it something light like a fruit wood, and do so sparingly.
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 382
    Options
    I'm doing one right now, I like the breast no less than 165, 175 for the legs. Most people here don't smoke them but I do like a bit of wood in mine.
    Used Little Stevens method, Legs up, at 350 on a CI pan.
    _DSC5535-Edit.jpg
  • jasperga
    jasperga Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks, responders -- I did check the USDA site for safety, but you added your experience -- which is what I was looking for

Thanks !