Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

egg metal top

SouthGaEgg
SouthGaEgg Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
my metal top falls off when I lift the egg top..please let me know any suggestions about trying to tighten the metal top...has anyone place seal tape around top to make a tighter connection ?

Comments

• eggsrgreat
    eggsrgreat Posts: 86
    That shouldn't happen. It sounds like something is wrong with the hinge allowing the lid to tilt to far backwards. I'd take a close look at that.
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    I have heard some members use pieces of the felt gasket material around the DFMT to tighten the seal a bit. Try that and you should be good.
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Is your Egg fairly new? Mine did that until it got some gunk built up on it. Has'nt done it in a while now. This and the crappy gasket are my pet peeves with the Eggs. As much as we pay for these things, you would expect better. So why is there a second Egg in my future? ;)
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've had that happen a few times. On a couple of those occasions it was because the screw holding the "petal" disk was toward the back of the Egg. When the dome was raised, the disk slid backwards, pulling the rest of the cap with it. Its become my habit to always have the screw to the front, so the disk doesn't slide when the dome is raised.

And, yes, with more use, the gunked up DFMT will hold quite tightly to the Egg. Its better to drop them onto the grill as the Egg cools down to reduce the build up. The ceramic top damps the fire more quickly, which is another plus.
  • Greenman72
    Greenman72 Posts: 20
    That happened to me--the metal top came off, fell on the concrete, and broke off one of the "ears". (I had to have it welded back on. I put some of the gasket on the inside of the metal top, and that took care of the problem.

I also tried drilling a hole and putting a wing nut in the metal top, but that didn't work so well.
  • Egg recommends the felt gasket trick.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Felt gasket on the inside of the DFMT is a poor fix. I put the the DFMT in the egg to clean the crud off of it. The gasket and adhesive will melt/burn and make matters worse.

gasket_bge.jpg

We spend a lot of money for these ceramic cookers. Talk with the dealer or even call BGE explain the size miss-match and get a replacement that fits better.

GG
  • Dave Shady
    Dave Shady Posts: 247
    put 2 3" strips of gasket material on the DOME where the DFMT slides on. We now for the past year do this with all of your NEW eggs we sell in all sizes. Fits good and tight for the customer and I dont hear a CLANG when were doing demos and the DFMT goes flying to the ground.. Never happened with our older eggs just in the past year or so.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    That is what my dealer told me to do when I bought my Egg. He told me when I replaced the gasket I would most likely have some excess gasket material and to use that on it. I never had a problem with mine slipping off (never happened to me-I always did what others said--put the screw toward the front), but still put the gasket on it when I replaced my gasket on my Egg.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Gldnby is on the money on this one. All this gasket stuff is bunk. I have four eggs and have never had a DFMT fall off!
    You have to face the pivot screw in the top towards you, so that it does not swing open when you open the dome. Inertia from that swing is what makes it fall off. Now, you have the pivot bolt facing you and you have achieved your target temp. Turn the entire top, base and all, so that a line through the pivot bolt and the center bolt on the butterfly are parallel to the line from the egg handle to the hinge [the opening axis of the dome]. Now when you open the dome the DFMT will stay on and your settings will not change. Somewhere on here is a diagram of this, probably on GG's "Tips and Tricks".
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Well, I definitely believe in the "gunk" factor. The lid on my DFMT actually takes a bit of tapping to get it to move, but it doesn't flip around and it sure doesn't fall off. Just takes a bit of cooking time!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Capt. Frank wrote:
    Gldnby is on the money on this one. All this gasket stuff is bunk. I have four eggs and have never had a DFMT fall off!
    You have to face the pivot screw in the top towards you, so that it does not swing open when you open the dome. Inertia from that swing is what makes it fall off. Now, you have the pivot bolt facing you and you have achieved your target temp. Turn the entire top, base and all, so that a line through the pivot bolt and the center bolt on the butterfly are parallel to the line from the egg handle to the hinge [the opening axis of the dome]. Now when you open the dome the DFMT will stay on and your settings will not change. Somewhere on here is a diagram of this, probably on GG's "Tips and Tricks".

Exactly! This is one of the first things I learned from this forum. Mine has never fallen off.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• mine fell off once when i first got my egg and my brother flung the lid open and it threw the daisy wheel on the ground and cracked it :angry:

he's still not allowed to even touch my table...
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    I've had my Large Egg for close to 10 years and the DFMT has NEVER fallen off...because early on someone on this forum said to make sure the pivot screw is at about the 5:30 clock position as you're facing the Egg.

Forget the gasket stuff, this really works. I have three Eggs and the toppers have never dropped off.
    Judy in San Diego
  • mentsmin
    mentsmin Posts: 29
    Capt. Frank wrote:

I just wanted to point out that there might be two different things being discussed here. I know the whole trick with the screws. However, my DFMT fits so loosely that (a) even with the screws properly positioned it sometimes slips off, and (b) if I have the damper completely open and lift the top of the egg, the top will spin around, despite having the screws aligned correctly.
  • mentsmin
    mentsmin Posts: 29
    Judy Mayberry wrote:
    I've had my Large Egg for close to 10 years and the DFMT has NEVER fallen off...because early on someone on this forum said to make sure the pivot screw is at about the 5:30 clock position as you're facing the Egg.

Forget the gasket stuff, this really works. I have three Eggs and the toppers have never dropped off.

Again, I've always followed these instructions and I've still had a issue with the top falling off.

My egg is new as of this spring.