Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Grate to Dome Temp

jbennyjbenny Posts: 147
edited 10:13PM in EggHead Forum
So I broke in the bbq guru with 3 10lb briskets for sunday night and an 8 lb boston butt for monday. All turned out great. I noticed when I had the 3 briskets on the egg at once there wasn't much difference between the grate running at 225 and the dome temp (maybe 5 to 10). When I did the butt though, I set the temp on the guru to 225 at the grate and the dome temp was reading closer to 275. I figured there would be a 25 degree difference but not a 50 degree difference. Anyone else see this happen?

I checked and the temp gauge is calibrated on both. Thanks!
·

Comments

• WingRiderWingRider Posts: 326
    It can run anywhere from about 25 to 50 degrees different between grate and dome. don't worry...relax...have some pulled pork :lol:
    ·
  • jbennyjbenny Posts: 147
    Well thank you and I did... and some brisket... and rack of lamb...
    ·
  • transversaltransversal Posts: 719
    I've seen a 50* difference between dome and grid with a big cold hunk'a meat early on in the cook. The differential usually diminishes as the meat begins to cook......with a margin closer to 20-25 degrees thereafter.
    ·
  • egganatoregganator Posts: 18
    I suspect you may have had the guru temperature probe too close to the meat, I have done that a time or 2.
    ·