Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Great use for extra squash.....

HossHoss Posts: 14,587
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Squash Relish.....This stuff is AWESOME!!! WAY too good not to share.

100_4214.jpg

100_4215.jpg

8-cups shredded yellow squash
2-cups shredded zucchini squash
4 large onions diced
5 medium bell peppers diced
1 4oz jar of diced pimentos

Mix yellow squash,zucchini and onions together with 2 tablespoons of canning salt and let sit overnite.Drain liquid off squash/onion mixture.

In a large,thick bottomed stock pot that is coated,enameled etc.Do not use bare metal pots,the vinegar will react and turn cloudy.
Pour in...
2.5 cups white distilled vinegar
5 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon corn starch
1 Tablespoon Tumeric
1 teaspoon dry ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Heat mixture to a simmer,add veggies,return to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes,stirring often.
Fill sterilized canning jars to within 1/2 inch of top,place heated lids on jars,place rings on jars and tighten.Place filled jars in a waterbath of boiling water covered by at least 1 inch.Process pints for 10 minutes(Quarts 15 minutes),remove,let cool on racks.ENJOY!!! :)
·

Comments

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,356
    I will have to find something to replace the bell pepper, or just leave it out, but your recipe goes right into my cook book. Thanks! The overnight dry brine is a really good move.
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    You can substitute any pepper you like or omit it.I think you will still like it. ;)
    ·
  • Misippi EggerMisippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    You should have my mailing addy on file..... ;)
    ·
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    go good with Looney? :ermm: :whistle: :lol:
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,737
    Great looking relish. Mangoes are going to be ready in 2-4 weeks. Wanna Trade?
    ·
    :laugh:
    ·
    This stuff goes good with EVERYTHING. :woohoo: ;)
    ·
    Sure! :) I tried the Kona coffee rub on a pork tenderloin.It was FABULOUS!!!
    ·
  • Thanks for sharing!
    ·
  • elzbthelzbth Posts: 2,075
    I knew it was only a matter of time before you would start posting pics from the stuff out of your garden....this stuff looks yummy! Did you shred in food processor - or use a grater? I often pick up a b-load of squash and make mega casserole amounts to freeze. You are one cooking king! ;)
    ·
    My pleasure.Some things are too good not to share. ;)
    ·
    Food processor with the grating plate in place. ;)
    ·
  • eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,391
    Hoss, when are you opening up a store? It is a joy to see all the things you do with everything you grow! :)
    ·
    Thanks em.It weren't bad. :)
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,238
    thanks, I am not much of a canner, but my cousin is and she has plenty of squash coming in. I will pass this recipe to her in exchange for half the jars canned :laugh: I can't wait to taste this.

Oliver's Law of Public Speaking- A closed mouth gathers no feet.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • thanks for the recipe! :)
    I forgot I was already drooling over that one when you posted recently :cheer:
    ·