Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Great use for extra squash.....

HossHoss Posts: 14,587
edited 8:04PM in EggHead Forum
Squash Relish.....This stuff is AWESOME!!! WAY too good not to share.

100_4214.jpg

100_4215.jpg

8-cups shredded yellow squash
2-cups shredded zucchini squash
4 large onions diced
5 medium bell peppers diced
1 4oz jar of diced pimentos

Mix yellow squash,zucchini and onions together with 2 tablespoons of canning salt and let sit overnite.Drain liquid off squash/onion mixture.

In a large,thick bottomed stock pot that is coated,enameled etc.Do not use bare metal pots,the vinegar will react and turn cloudy.
Pour in...
2.5 cups white distilled vinegar
5 cups sugar
1 Tablespoon corn starch
1 Tablespoon Tumeric
1 teaspoon dry ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Heat mixture to a simmer,add veggies,return to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes,stirring often.
Fill sterilized canning jars to within 1/2 inch of top,place heated lids on jars,place rings on jars and tighten.Place filled jars in a waterbath of boiling water covered by at least 1 inch.Process pints for 10 minutes(Quarts 15 minutes),remove,let cool on racks.ENJOY!!! :)
·

Comments

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,522
    I will have to find something to replace the bell pepper, or just leave it out, but your recipe goes right into my cook book. Thanks! The overnight dry brine is a really good move.
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    You can substitute any pepper you like or omit it.I think you will still like it. ;)
    ·
  • Misippi EggerMisippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    You should have my mailing addy on file..... ;)
    ·
  • loco_engrloco_engr Posts: 3,673
    go good with Looney? :ermm: :whistle: :lol:
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,864
    Great looking relish. Mangoes are going to be ready in 2-4 weeks. Wanna Trade?
    ·
    :laugh:
    ·
    This stuff goes good with EVERYTHING. :woohoo: ;)
    ·
    Sure! :) I tried the Kona coffee rub on a pork tenderloin.It was FABULOUS!!!
    ·
  • Thanks for sharing!
    ·
  • elzbthelzbth Posts: 2,075
    I knew it was only a matter of time before you would start posting pics from the stuff out of your garden....this stuff looks yummy! Did you shred in food processor - or use a grater? I often pick up a b-load of squash and make mega casserole amounts to freeze. You are one cooking king! ;)
    ·
    My pleasure.Some things are too good not to share. ;)
    ·
    Food processor with the grating plate in place. ;)
    ·
  • eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,392
    Hoss, when are you opening up a store? It is a joy to see all the things you do with everything you grow! :)
    ·
    Thanks em.It weren't bad. :)
    ·
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,342
    thanks, I am not much of a canner, but my cousin is and she has plenty of squash coming in. I will pass this recipe to her in exchange for half the jars canned :laugh: I can't wait to taste this.

Oliver's Law of Public Speaking- A closed mouth gathers no feet.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • thanks for the recipe! :)
    I forgot I was already drooling over that one when you posted recently :cheer:
    ·