Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

UPDATE...NEED ADVICE (Scroll down...long post)

dsmith
dsmith Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After a huge feast today I just reloaded my egg and got 'er ramped up again for my all night cook of 30lbs of butt (2-8# and 2-7#).

I rubbed the butts with mustard and Memphis Dust I made a couple of weeks ago for some ribs:

IMAG0136.jpg

As you can see, I'm cooking on 2 levels. I put the 8# butts up top and the 7# on the bottom. I put a drip pan in between them all using my XL Rig.

IMAG0138.jpg
IMAG0137.jpg
IMAG0139.jpg

I'm smoking them with hickory chunks and apple chips with a few Jack Daniels chips just for the heck of it.

I put them on at 8pm after I had my temp stable. Temp dropped to about 75F and has slowly climbed back to a little over 200F at the momen (an hour later). The plan is to eat tomorrow around 2pm.

I'll probably end up ordering my Stoker before the night is over just so I can sleep without worry next go 'round! :laugh:

:evil: UPDATE: :evil:

So, I went to sleep at 1:15AM with my EGG pretty well controlled at 225F. At that time internal temp of one of the lower, smaller butts was 160F so I figured was hitting plateau phase. The dome temp seemed to had dropped very slightly since my last check, so I opened my wheel VERY slightly and went to bed. I awake at 6:15AM and go check. My dome temp has climbed to 260F (not too bad I guess though I should have left the wheel alone at 1AM) then I check my internal temp and see I'm up to 203F. (No, I don't have a Maverick which could have saved me this surprise.)

I double checked with my Thermapen and both lower 7# butts are at about 203F and the upper 8# butts are at a nice 197F. Here are the photos:

Upper:
IMAG0141.jpg

Lower...I laughed at my grill marks left by the grate holding my drip pan for the upper butt:
IMAG0142.jpg

I pulled it all and triple wrapped it in regular aluminum foil (out of heavy duty) and put them in the oven at 175F. We are planning on eating at 2PM so I thought I'd just let them stay in the oven till about 10AM and then wrap in towels and place in my cooler.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? I've read before in this forum about keeping butts in the oven on low temp for situations like this but I want to make sure. Also, is 160F a reasonable temp to do this? I want to be safe but I don't want the butts to cook more.

Thanks for your time in reading this and responding.

Comments