Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini explosions?

Options
70chevelle
70chevelle Posts: 280
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I fired up the egg on Monday to roast a 10# sirloin tip. Had about 1/2 a load of lump leftover from my last cook, so I moved it around and got the dust out and then filled with new lump and some pecan wood. It took a while for the temp to get above 200*, but when it did, it had an occasional 'burp'. You know the sound you get when the flames kick in while your opening the lid, only a bit louder (sounded like small explosions) and I wasn't opening the lid. My wife and I were enjoying a drink at the bar where the egg resides and it was startling, to say the least. Once the burps were out of the way, the temps took off and all was well. Anyone else eggsperience this?

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Heat = oxygen and fuel.

Once the lump bed got a good source of oxygen the eggs will heat quickly. The mini lights fast and gets hot fast, if there is a good air flow to the lump bed.

I have never had a flash back or burping on the mini. I have always take care to make sure the air holes in the fire grate and fire box are clear.

600° dome.
    mini_steak3.jpg

GG 
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Was there any odor? By chance, did you have Tex-Mex for dinner last night? 8 - )~~
  • eggsrgreat
    eggsrgreat Posts: 86
    Options
    I never had that happen with the lid shut, however I forgot to burp the lid last night cooking steaks, and now I don't have to go to the barber anytime soon, and my wife thinks I'm an idiot. The steaks were great though. :ohmy:
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    my large used to just sit an occasionally rumble, then stop, doesnt seem to do it anymore. i used to think it was maybe dust from the new lump
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Options
    Rascal wrote:
    Was there any odor? By chance, did you have Tex-Mex for dinner last night? 8 - )~~

I wasn't concerned about that when it happened that way last time :laugh: I guess I'll have to ask my wife, cause I know it wasn't me! :evil: It was a pretty substantial sound. I'll be listening tonite while I'm heating up the egg for the flatiron steak. Wish me luck.

Oh, and I think my subject may have been unintentionally misleading, I have a large egg, the explosions were mini (or small :ermm: )