Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Help - Temp creeps up during cook

Options
Iko
Iko Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Only 3rd cook on the new egg but I'm noticing that the temperature creeps up during my cook. Tonight is marinaded split chicken breasts and I had the temp stabilized at 350 with the chicken on. It stayed at 350 for most of the grilling time, but in the last 15 minutes it's been creeping up to 400 even though I keep tweaking the draft door and DFMT closed. Plate setter is on for indirect grilling.

I thought the main benefit of the Egg was its ability to keep constant temp....can someone please give advice on how to keep a stable temp during the cook?

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    When you say the temp stabilized, for how long? Was the plate setter in also when it "stabilized"?

It can take 30-40 to heat everything to get to temp. Then you put your cold meat in and DON'T touch your settings. It will drop below your target but will recover to the "stabilized" temp...

Hope this helps
    Kent Madison MS
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Are you opening the dome too often? Split chicken breasts should be done rather quickly in a 350 degree dome egg, there is no reason that a well stabilized egg would jump up in temp without extra airflow.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Iko
    Options
    Temp was stabilized with platesetter for a good 30-40 minutes while the chicken was on. But for some reason it jumped up in the last 15. Maybe because I was peeking (and checking internal temp) too often toward the end...but who can resist!

Good news is that the chicken came off FANTASTIC. Seriously...the best grilled chicken I've ever had. First time on the Egg so far that I really noticed how moist the meat stays with this method versus gas grilling. Can't wait to try more recipes over the summer (and fall...and winter...and spring..etc. etc.)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Yes, if you peek and check and allow air into the cooker, the fire can build and the temp can go up. The Egg can only keep the temp stabilized if the conditions are stabilized, like no peeking.
    The Naked Whiz
  • ron4fish
    ron4fish Posts: 144
    Options
    Try a wireless thermometer. I love mine. I bought the Primo, probably the same as the Maverick. Lets me sit inside and keep an eye on the grill and meat temps. Never open the cover until it's at temp.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    You mention the dome temp was stabilized while the chicken was on - it needs to be stabilized before the meat goes on. If you keep opening the dome 10 times to check the meat temp, your dome temp is going to go up.

I'm glad your chicken was fantastic - it only gets better from here!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Iko
    Options
    Thanks guys. Lesson learned. No excessive peeking...that must have been the issue with the raised temp toward the end.

Remote thermometer is definitely on the wish list (Maverick 732) along with a Thermapen, cast iron grate and pizza stone. At this point though, I think the Adjustable Rig / Spider combo from CGS is highest on the priority list of accessories.

Only 3 weeks in with the Egg (and charcoal grilling generally) but I'm completely hooked at this point! This forum is amazing for tips and advice. Thanks all.
  • Iko
    Options
    Thanks guys. Lesson learned. No excessive peeking...that must have been the issue with the raised temp toward the end.

Remote thermometer is definitely on the wish list (Maverick 732) along with a Thermapen, cast iron grate and pizza stone. At this point though, I think the Adjustable Rig / Spider combo from CGS is highest on the priority list of accessories.

Only 3 weeks in with the Egg (and charcoal grilling generally) but I'm completely hooked at this point! This forum is amazing for tips and advice. Thanks all.
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    I am a newbie myself. I think the Maverick is the most important after you get the plate setter. I did a pork butt last Friday night. Never even opened the lid till 12 hours and the internal temp was 190.. just had to peek. Let it go to 195 and took it off.. GREAT..