Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

firing up a bge

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
whats the best way to fire one up? ...dont say the minion method![p]seriously, can you directly hit the lump with a weed burner, without taking the whole thing apart (is there any access). a chimney?[p]just curious how you all do it?[p]....picking up a large egg tomorrow...just doing alot of thinking

Comments

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    benny,
    Try MAPP gas, available at your local big box home improvement store - about $35 for the torch kit. [p]Banker John

• Banker John,
    is this any different than an lp tank with a weed burner/torch? ( i already have one of these)

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    benny,
    Weed burner will work.

• Bobby-Q,[p]any tricks/tips? do you just blast the lumps inside the egg?

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    benny,
    any way will work; I spent the first six months
    dropping waxed starters into the lump and waiting
    a 1/2 hr for it all to light up... worked fine.[p]that said, I'm a proponent of the bbq guru's folks
    'golf club' shown below. It allows you to use normal
    propane (say cheaper); lights the lump unattended, while
    you get the food readyl, and is relatively inexpensive.[p]wpp050412a2.JPGyou can look them up at the link below...
    all best, HS

[ul][li]guru golf club[/ul]
  • Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    benny,Congrats on your new egg. A couple of tips. Light the lump in the center. Fresh lump will spark and throw sparks when you use a torch. Those sparks can hurt you or ruin your sun dress. If it starts to spark, stop and see if you have ignited some edges of coals. you only nees a total of say 1-2 inches of coal ignited to get the thing started. You'll see what I mean. IF it's not lit, try again as above. My mapp torch only takes about 30 seconds to start the fire.
    Scott

• ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    benny,
    i have been using a weed burner for quite some time now(propane in the 20 lb. is the cheapest)... i have tried several other methods... the weed burner is my favorite...give 'er a blast till ya see the edges of the lump glowing...open up the bottom ,close the lid with nothing on the top hole...and you'll have an inferno asap.. i like using the weed burner for the drama too! sparks...noise... love it!!lol..fire! fire! eh eh eh

• Tired Jim
    Tired Jim Posts: 39
    Options
    benny,
    I just use a BGE electric starter. Usually get up to cooking temp in about 15 minutes or so.

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    benny,
    I'm a mapp gas fan, quick easy, and it helps with plumbing jobs around the house. Trigger start and a bottle could last over a year.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    benny,
    was using a mapp until i fried the whole thing up, have a propane torch now, both work good, will be buying a guru golf club soon or a weed burner

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    benny,
    If you are gong to use your torch, you might want to let the lid down some to block the sparks. I use Green Heat, which is a gel made out of sugar I believe. You can get it at Wal Mart, and it will get your egg going with a dollup about the size of a 1/2 dollar. I will do one spot if I want a low and slow fire, but if I am going to do steaks, I will put it in a few spots and let er get real hot quick. This stuff is safe to use with no nasty fillers or by-products. Good to see you posting on the forum. Your questions are certainly welcome here, and good luck with your new egg. Keep us up to speed on your cooking experiences and keep asking questions. This place makes the learning curve much quicker and easier.
    Seth

• Fairalbion
    Fairalbion Posts: 141
    Options
    benny,
    Add me to the list of MAPP gassers.

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    Tired Jim,
    i tried about three of those... i suppose i suffer from adhd...i'd put it in...go grab a beer and forget about it... came back to a melted firestarter and a raging fire...they do work well.. if you don't suffer from senility, beer induced memory lapses etc...