Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When to perform a clean burn?

brisket30
brisket30 Posts: 122
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my Egg for 4 years and was wondering how often people perform a clean burn. I have no funny smells or tastes in any of the meat I cook. What criteria do you considered before doing one. I have placed the daisy wheel inside durning high temp cooks to clean the residue off since it wouldn't open but other than that it seems unnecessary.

I normally use the Egg 3 to 4 times a week pretty much all year long, with equal amount of long, short, hot and low cooks.

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    I wouldn't a clean out burn unless you notice some funky smells from grease build up. I would recommend taking your EGG apart twice a year and cleaning behind the firebox based on the amount of cooking you do.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I never do a clean burn deliberately. When the stuff on the dome gets thick, it will start to flake off and then I just scrape off whatever is loose. FWIW....
    The Naked Whiz
  • brisket30
    brisket30 Posts: 122
    I have taken some clear 1-1/2 clear tubing, like you would use to pour beer through, and duck taped it to my shop vac. then turn on the vac and slide it all the way around the backside of the fire box. Works really well.

Thanks for the info.
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    I've only intentionally done a clean burn once. When I moved to the UK last December, the shipping company told me the egg had to be sterilized or it wouldn't be allowed through customs.

A clean burn later and it looked brand new! No problems getting it through customs.

Aside from that, I've never intentionally done one.
  • Kew_el_steve
    Kew_el_steve Posts: 354
    Have not done one in three years of owning my LBGE. When carbon in the top starts to flake, I just ball up some aluminum foil, rub, sip from my beer, and done. Well, except for getting another beer for a job well done... :laugh: