Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What cooking magazines do most people like?

Options
egginator
egginator Posts: 569
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We subscribe to cooking light and bon appetite. I like cooking light, but I'm sort of meh on bon appetite. Frankly about 90% of my new cooks come from this forum. Are there magazines/books/TV shows that the greater forum recommends?

Thanks

Ed

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'm a subscriber to "Cook's Illustrated," but most of my info comes from the net, either websites (Serious Eats), forums (here, eGullet), and some food bloggers (Egghead thirdeye's "Playing with Fire and Smoke, or foodplayerlinda "Playing with Fire and Water").

For awhile, Cook's was pushing a web subscription rather strongly. I declined because I really do like their illustrations, and find a paper page the best way to view those.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country
    No ads and very good reading
    Get most of my info from right here ;)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Eating Well,& Food and Wine.
    I also like Saveur.
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    My "go to" cooking magazines are Cooks Illustrated and Cooks Country. I also enjoy Saveur and Southern Living. My "go to" blogs are The Pioneer Woman and also Homesick Texan. Both of these bloggers like food with a lot of flavor and spice.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    My favorite is Food Network's magazine, 100's of recipes and pictures to inspire me to try different things. -RP
  • Hungry Celeste
    Options
    Saveur is my only subscription generalist food mag these days. Bon Appetite is indeed "meh" at best; Cook's Illustrated is too New England, too obsessive, too rigid, and too damn bland. Louisiana Cookin' is pretty good, when I can get my hands on a copy.

My mom gets Eating Well--it's not a bad publication, with better content than Cooking Light, imho.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I subscribed to 'Gourmet' for a while and I believe it's no longer published. Then it was 'Fine Cooking', which was probably my favorite. Now it's the Food Channel, this forum, and a host of other web sites. Also, I am a life time member of the Rouxbe on-line cooking school.
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I really like Cuisine at Home magazine. It's very straight forward and always pairs side dishes with the entrees. Also, really like Food Network Magazine.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Woody
    Woody Posts: 125
    Options
    Cooks Illustrated gets my vote as well.
    They do a great job breaking down a recipe, trying different things and coming up with an improved version. Appeals to my engineering side from my previous life.
    Woody in Northville, MI
    Large BGE with AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware Cap, Wok, Grill Grates and Kettle Q
  • egginator
    Options
    Just sent out a link to Thirdeye's site to half a dozen non-forum eggheads. Yeah I know they are lame and ought to be on this forum all the time. You can lead a horse to water... Doing CWM ribs this weekend
  • egginator
    Options
    Magazines
    Cook's Illustrated 4 thumbs up, 1 down
    Cook's Country 2 thumbs up
    Eating Well 1 thumbs up
    Food and Wine 1 thumbs up
    Saveur 3 thumbs up
    Bon Appetite 2 thumbs down
    Louisiana Cookin' 1 thumbs up
    Eating Well 1 thumbs up
    Cooking Light 1 thumbs up, 1 down
    Southern Living 1 thumbs up
    Food Network's Mag 2 thumbs up
    Fine Cooking 1 thumbs up
    Cuisine at Home 1 thumbs up

Websites
    Serious Eats 1 thumbs up
    Playing with Fire and Smoke 1 thumbs up
    Playing with Fire and Water 1 thumbs up
    Pioneer Woman 1 thumbs up
    Homesick Texan 1 thumbs up
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    egginator,

I like Saveur as well.
    I also like one that is available from Liquor Stores in Ontario, Canada. It is free so it has a lot of ads but about the same number of recipes as you would get in the other mags. It has a web site that works well and when you cursor over a recipe it shows the plated product.

http://www.lcbo.com/fooddrink/index.shtml

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    add two more thumbs up for CI and CC!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Saveur and Cook's Illustrated are the two we subscribe to. If I had to choose just one, it would be Saveur.... beautiful photography, well-written and excellent exposure to the world's great foods and their recipes.

john
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I like Cuisine At Home. No ads but a lot of cool tips too.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Cook's Illustrated here too (like Woody, I like their engineering approach).
    My second-favorite, not mentioned yet, is Sunset. Its a "chick" magazine, focuses on "western US" living (TX to WA to HA) lots of gardening, bed-n-breakfast, redecorating, travel and wine info, but the quarter of the magazine focusing on cooking is outstanding (they have a new cookbook out called The Sunset Cookbook, highly recommended!).
    I had been a charter subscriber to Fine Cooking, but the new editor made major changes to the "look" of the rag, and my 51-year-old eyes can't read light blue type on tan backgrounds anymore, I've let my subscription expire. Idiots. :angry:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Options
    After being a charter subscriber and never letting the subscription lapse, I gave up on Cooking Light when their new editor took over a little over a year ago and it became "Cooking Lite" and focused on few ingredients, fast recipes. Many of my favorite recipes are from that magazine, but not since the change.

I get Eating Well and Fine Cooking and really enjoy them. I have every issue of FC from the beginning and prefer the older format, but the updated version is still pretty good.
    Egging in Crossville, TN