Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Protective Gloves?

Options
EggObsessed
EggObsessed Posts: 786
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering if any of you eggsperienced eggers have any recommendations for gloves that allow you to pick up a very hot platesetter when changing from indirect to direct cooks. My husband has some Weber gloves that are leather and insulated, but they have some type of lining that actually gets so hot it burns his hands. We've heard of getting welding gloves. Any suggestions? I greatly appreciate all the wonderful wisdom and advice found on this forum. :)
Kelley 
Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.

Comments

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    A good set of welding gloves is what I use. Even w/ them, however, you don't want to hold on to a hot plate setter (or a hot anything, for that matter) :P for very long.

Even welding gloves will allow heat to transfer through the gloves, so it's always good to have a plan of attack & know where you want to place the plate setter or whatever it is that you're holding.

Before I started using the welding gloves, I used the "ove gloves" and they were "OK" until I actually did what I warned against above - I picked up a hot plate setter & then realized I didn't have a place to put it - about 5-7 seconds later, it was hot enough that I couldn't hold on to it & ended up dropping it!! :angry:
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Kew_el_steve
    Kew_el_steve Posts: 354
    Options
    I agree with Hillbilly: have a good plan before-hand. I use silicone mitts. With my Woo2 I don't use my platesetter any more, but I do take my big, thick BGE pizza stone that makes for indirect cooks on the Woo off when I shut the LBGE down. Use the mitt and have a place to put it down...QUICK! B);)

I like the silicone mitts because when they get dirty, they simply go in the dishwasher.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Go to welding supply store and get the most expensive or the cheapest pair they have - both work equally as well in most cases.

The most expensive one will be 100% better than anything else you and buy for our purposes.
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    Options
    Welding gloves in my case as well. Many BBQ gloves are just welding gloves with the price much higher because they say BBQ gloves.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Kelley,
    Orkas are expensive, but well worth it and I often carry my hot plate setter right from the fire, through the house and out to the garage. Try that trick with welding gloves! You can buy them at Amazon. They are rated to 450° but I have gone higher.
    Ron
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great information and advice.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • dugdbug
    dugdbug Posts: 244
    Options
    My eggsperience has been you can't hold onto the platesetter for more than a few seconds but you can hold onto the ice cold beer as long as necessary.
    Cheers
    DSC03687.jpg
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Options
    I think we've tried everything, and haven't found anything "perfect".

We have two pairs of welding gloves (one dirt cheap from Harbor Freight and one not so cheap from Lowes), a pair of the Ove Gloves (not a pair any more, lost one at the Sunshine State Egg Fest), and a pair of Grill Gloves (silicone "grill" mitts).

We use the Ove Gloves more than anything, but none of the gloves allow you to hold something really stinking hot for very long. However, the Ove Gloves are a little too short if the fire is really rolling.

Our welding gloves don't protect enough to hang on to a hot dish and bring it from the BGE to the kitchen, so they stay in the closet 99% of the time.

The red Grill Gloves (internet purchase) are too small for hubby to comfortably get his hands into, so unless I use them, they stay in the closet. I like them because they are easily washed. They aren't the best heat protection, though.

Just my two cents.