Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Today's cook: Chicken & Ribs (pic heavy)

Options
Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked up some baby back ribs (2 ways), some chicken wings (which never made it to plate), potatos, and coleslaw... oh, and a couple of bacon eggs (deconstructed ABT's).

For the ribs, I used the same dry rub... the only difference was the finishing sauce.

Ready to go on the grill.

IMG_6023.jpg

Ingredients for one of the sauces, inspired by a recipe I found in Planet Barbecue. Instead of pineapple & pineapple juice, I used dragon fruit & mango juice.

Ingredients: Ginger, garlic, scotch bonnets, cilantro, dragon fruit, ground allspice, worcestershire sauce, mango juice, captain morgan's dark rum, apple cider vinegar.

IMG_6028.jpg

For those unfamiliar with dragon fruit, here's a pic of it sliced open. I like to describe it as a cross between a pear and a kiwi, with a very mild flavor.

IMG_6033.jpg

Ribs, after first spritzing with apple cider vinegar.

IMG_6036.jpg

After second spritzing. Looking good!

IMG_6040.jpg

Making some mayo for the coleslaw.

IMG_6041.jpg

Cooking some homemade italian sausage for the bacon eggs.

IMG_6046.jpg

Rendering the fat out of the pancetta for the bacon eggs.

IMG_6047.jpg

Ribs are sauced. The dome temp was reading ~250-270 throughout the cook, but I think it may need to be calibrated a wee bit, because the end ribs were a tiny overcooked. Still tasted fantastic though :D

IMG_6049.jpg

Getting ready to roll up the bacon eggs. Pretty simple idea, really... imagine an ABT without the jalapeno (hard to get jalapenos in this country). Dollop of white cheddar in a bed of italian sausage & pancetta, then rolled up in bacon. :D

IMG_6051.jpg

IMG_6052.jpg

Some diced fingerling potatoes that were parboiled and panfried in duck fat.

IMG_6053.jpg

Ribs & potatoes on the plate. Was too hungry to wait for the wings to finish cooking (bleh, misjudged how much lump I had in the egg, and had to add more and let it burn down a wee bit so it threw everything off...)

IMG_6054.jpg

Homemade coleslaw. Green cabbage & savoy cabbage, carrots, white wine vinegar, sugar, and homemade mayo! Delicious :D

IMG_6055.jpg

One of my bacon eggs eggsploded. :( lol

IMG_6057.jpg

Was still really good. But not quite as good as an ABT would have been!

IMG_6059.jpg

Cheesy gooey porky sausagy bacony goodness :D

IMG_6060.jpg

Comments