Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Wood chunks and termites

JeffMJeffM Posts: 100
edited 12:15AM in EggHead Forum
After cutting up a pecan log into chunks, I noticed a few termites in the plastic bag I put them in. Is soaking in water a good way to make sure I have removed them all or any other suggestions? Thanks

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,971
    Might drown the termites. Why not just toss the wood on the fire and smoke them for appiteasers??
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,623
    I was surprised to read how museums kill termites (or any other vermin) in old artwork: plain ol' CO2! If your wood is already bagged, I'd see if you can get some compressed CO2 and flood the bags and seal.
    I wouldn't trust water alone; wet wood is actually how termites smell wood.
    Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  
    Ogden, Utard.  
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Just put a few toothpicks into the plastic bag with the wood chunks, leave the top open, and move the bag close to your neighbors house... This will take care of the problem.
    Termites can pole vault and are very competitive. heheheee.
    Happy Trails

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,940
    I'm with Richard. Who cares? Cook em up... more protein.

If you’re afraid of butter, use cream.    Julia Child

Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623