Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood chunks and termites

Options
JeffM
JeffM Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After cutting up a pecan log into chunks, I noticed a few termites in the plastic bag I put them in. Is soaking in water a good way to make sure I have removed them all or any other suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Might drown the termites. Why not just toss the wood on the fire and smoke them for appiteasers??
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,472
    Options
    I was surprised to read how museums kill termites (or any other vermin) in old artwork: plain ol' CO2! If your wood is already bagged, I'd see if you can get some compressed CO2 and flood the bags and seal.
    I wouldn't trust water alone; wet wood is actually how termites smell wood.

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Just put a few toothpicks into the plastic bag with the wood chunks, leave the top open, and move the bag close to your neighbors house... This will take care of the problem.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Termites can pole vault and are very competitive. heheheee.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'm with Richard. Who cares? Cook em up... more protein.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options