Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tem-pi-chah

abundell
abundell Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I have a question...

I bought an ET372 which I kinda like. What I like is that you don't have to pull the engine and transmission just to turn it on. And the receiver actually picks up a signal that is farther away than the length of the probe wire. But...

My smoker probe does not fit through the thermometer hole in my Egg. I'm assuming that's true for everyone and I'm reluctant to try to ream it out. So, I decided to go with the ET372 design and I clipped it on the grid. Which is a Goldilocks and 3 bears kinda thing... if I position it over burning coals it reads high. If it's not over coals it reads low. And either way it doesn't read the same as the original BGE thermo. There's probably a 50 deg diff.

My question is...

If I'm following a posted recipe, which is the right temp-i-chah... over hot coals, cool coals or in the dome as designed? And anyone figured out a way to get the ET372 in the hole?

Thanks

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Most people use the dome temperature when they give their recipe. This is the temperature that the BGE thermometer is showing. The temperature at the grid is usually 25-30 degrees lower.

I have an ET73 and clip it to the grid above the plate setter. This gives the grid temperature which is what I use in my recipes (specifying that it is grid temp).

So, put the probe where you want and set the BGE for the temperature in the recipe as adjusted above.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA