Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good 3-5 Hour Cook

Options
SmokinParrotHead
SmokinParrotHead Posts: 532
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, like lot's of folks here I LOVE Egging and especially doing some slow cooks. I want to get into more "afternoon" type cooks, especially on Sunday afternoons when we are just trying to relax around the house/yard.

What are some of your favorite 3-5 hour cooks? I'm looking for ideas that I could start sometime after church and lunch, cook for the afternoon, and eat for dinner.

Ribs are the obvious answer, as is pork loin(although that is a little quicker than I was thinking about), but what are some other good medium range cooks? I have a few more in mind, but need some help planning a couple more.

Thanks, fellow Eggheads!!

Comments

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    soups and chile
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    Tri tips are great if they are available in your area. They don't take that long but the prep and cook could be 2 hours maybe a little more.photo-5.jpg
  • tacodawg
    tacodawg Posts: 335
    Options
    Tri tips are great if they are available in your area. They don't take that long but the prep and cook could be 2 hours maybe a little more.photo-5.jpg
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Tim:
    Are you talking about indirect cooking?

Because I cook tri-tips on a raised grid DIRECT for 20 to 30 minutes, tops. The insides are still pink and juicy, but of course the narrow end is more well done. It would be incinerated at 2 hours!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    N/M
    Judy in San Diego
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Options
    good afternoon cook is a chuck roast in cast iron pot

2011-06-19_12-06-44_850.jpg

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Good question! I am responding to this as I got up early so I could get a small brisket on before getting cleaned up for church, so I struggle with the same thing.

As some have already alluded to....dutch oven cooks come to mind. A good smoked Chili was also my first thought...but any high ingredient count, bone-in DO cook would fit the bill. I have done slow simmered whole duck in the DO. Of course, a small Turkey is always a good choice - Mad Max style of course. :woohoo:
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    We like to slow cook chicken and turkey breasts. Usually split the turkey breast into two pieces. Cook at 275* raised with a pizza stone under them for about 2 (chicken)-3 (turkey) hours or until they are at 170-175*. We use hickory chunks for flavor. Meat will have a good smoky flavor but a little dry compared to grilled chicken. We use the same approach on pork steaks, except do a direct grill finish to add some charring and sauce. Depending on their thickness, can take 2-3 hours. Good luck. Sunday afternoons are a great time to do a slow cook.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • eggtopia
    eggtopia Posts: 91
    Options
    How bout a standing rib roast?
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    My first cook was a 5 lb whole chicken, kept dome 230-250 and it took almost 5 hours. Last night I did some pork country bone in ribs they took a bit over 3 hours, really tasty.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • CrazyHarry
    CrazyHarry Posts: 112
    Options
    You could try a brisket flat. Get up a little early and put it on the egg before church and then just let it cook all day -- should be ready to eat by dinner time. Trying my first one today and I'm anticipating a 10 to 12 hour cook. (The last hour or two will be a resting period.)

A smaller pork butt would probably take 4 or 5 hours, so that's another option. I cooked a 3.5 pound butt for my first cook in a bit over 5 hours and it was enough food for at least 8 sandwiches. (Hard to say for sure because I kept sneaking pieces out of the refrigerator -- that stuff was even good cold! I just stayed away from the pieces on the bottom where the fat had congealed...)

It's 7:08 here so I better get my fire going for that brisket! It was my wife who wanted it; I wasn't that excited about it -- until i started looking at some of the egg videos on YouTube. Wow, the meat looks so tender and juicy! I've heard that the flats can dry out, so I may use a mop to try to keep it moist... If I learn anything significant I'll post here on the forum.
  • BigEggBruce
    Options
    I just bought the "sittin chicken". I can put some kind of mariniade on the inside of the chicken tower. I have seasoned the chicken with some kind of poultry seasoning and I wanted to know what kind of marinade would you use?