Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thank you, cookn biker!

Options
egret
egret Posts: 4,170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, I didn't think there was anything you could do to my Cow Lickin' Chili recipe that could make much difference in the taste, but........Molly proved me wrong! She posted a few weeks ago that she had used chocolate instead of cocoa powder! I tried it in my latest batch and, lo and behold, there is a difference.......in a real good kind of way. :laugh: I hope I'm not hallucinating in my old age and am remembering this correctly! :woohoo: If not, thank you, Molly!
Here's the new recipe.........changed for all time :

Cow Lickin’ Chili

Ingredients :

Olive Oil
1 & 1/2 lbs. ground Chuck
1 lb. Italian Sausage
2 cups Onion (chopped)
1 green Bell Pepper (seeded and chopped)
2 Jalapeno chiles (seeded and chopped fine)
1-2 Serrano chiles (seeded amd chopped fine)
1 Tbls. Garlic (minced)
1 (28 oz.) can diced Tomatoes and liquid
1 (15 oz.) can diced Tomatoes and liquid
1 can Rotel
2 cans (15 oz. each) Pinto, dark Kidney, or Black Beans (drained)
3 Tbls. Chili Powder
1 Tbls. Ancho Chile Powder
1 & 1/2 Tbls. ground Cumin
1 oz. semi-sweet Chocolate
1 tsp. ground Cinnamon
2 Bay Leaves
1 tsp. dried Oregano
3 Tbls. Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Steak Rub
2 cups Beef Broth
1 cup dry Red Wine
2-3 dried Chili Peppers (chipotle, ancho, etc.) to float on top
Salt and fresh ground Pepper to taste
Wood Chunks

Preparation:

Preheat your Egg to 350° F. with inverted plate setter (legs up).
Place dutch oven in the egg on the plate setter and add 2 Tbls. olive oil.
Add the ground chuck and sausage (break up into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon). Add 2 or 3 fist-sized chunks of wood to coals.
Close lid and cook for about 1 hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
Remove dutch oven from egg, remove meat and drain on paper towels.
Wipe dutch oven dry with paper towels.
Return dutch oven to egg, add more olive oil and saute´ onions, green pepper, jalapenos, and serrano(s) until limp. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook, uncovered, for about 2 hours (add water as needed to prevent drying).
Note : After the mixture starts to simmer, you can reduce the dome temperature to 300° F. Remove bay leaves, dried chiles, correct seasoning and serve.

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Sounds mighty fine Egret, thanks for sharing. I have bookmarked and will have to try it one of these days. How is the heat as the recipe is written? I tend to be a bit sedative to the hot stuff. I like some heat but will never hold any records. ;)

Blair

• egret
    Options
    It's pretty spicy! You may want to cut back on the Cow Lick and chile powder a little.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    You're welcome. ;) I knew you'd love it!!
    I used dark chocolate.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • egret
    Options
    That's what I used, too. I may gradually increase the amount each time to see what the effects are. Next time I'll use 1.5 oz. :)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    John! were your ears ringing Saturday?? your old nemesis and I were talking.. Something about a chili throw down.... and trying to see if either of you still had it in you to pull it off a again.. he said something about having lock boxes for the spoons to go in this time though...