Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoked chuck roast

Options
jerryp
jerryp Posts: 232
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever smoked a chuck roast? Does it pull similar to pork? I was watching a cooking show featuring a chuck roast and noticed a similarity, since they do come from the same part and have a similar dispersal of fat and connective tissue. Thanks.

Comments

• outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Options
    mine fell apart after cooking on sunday,, but cooked it in ci pot with beef broth and onions... cooked to 195 and it was great.

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    Nah, that, I gotta try........
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    You could also do "pit beef" or "Italian Beef" sammies. Rub with salt/pepper/oregano,& garlic powder, sear it over high heat OR cook over medium heat, then transfer to Dutch Oven for braising until it "loosens". Braising liquid of beef broth, onoins, and green peppers(I use both bell and jalepeno). Save some of the liquid for dipping the sandwhich, made with toasted hoagie roll.

IMG_2791.jpg
  • jostheim
    jostheim Posts: 53
    Options
    I did smoke some chuck roasts about a year ago

6sf5Jp8n6EHh.jpg

They pulled with some difficulty, I think I ended up chopping them. I smoked them the whole time. I think that something like a modified 3-2-1 method where the hours will be different, but the idea the same would do well as I think some braising in foil would serve the chuck well.

Anyway after I chopped the meat my guests liked it a lot, they thought it tasted a lot like brisket. I thought it was too dry but still okay.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Go to the recipe section and check out "Clays Pulled Beef BBQ". I've followed this recipe many times and have made great pulled beef from chuck roasts.

I've also used the "Dutch Oven Pot Roast" recipe to make wonderful pot roast from chuck roasts.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Chuck Roast is maybe my favorite "BBQ" meat to cook on the egg. Cook it exactly like you would "Pork Butt". Take it to about 200 internal meat temp and it "pulls" just like pulled pork!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Alsgrillmate
    Options
    At what temp and for how long. It sure looks goof
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Pot Roast - Dutch Oven

335* for about 6 hours..need to cook roast at 205 for an hour. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    edited April 2016
    Options
    i do them low and slow to 180, wrap in foil and continue til its pullable which usually ends up 205 to 210 internal

100_1021jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Yes they need to get to around 205 or until they are probing smooth. They take a long time a 4lb I would bank on atleast 6 hours at 250 dome and maybe longer. Google Clayq pulled beef that's always a winner.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Hey @fishlessman that looks great. I am doing one tonight. First time in town to use the egg in a very long time. Did you just cook on the egg like a butt till 180 and then wrap dry? Or did you add liquid when wrapped? Yours looks very moist. 
    Snellville, GA

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    It's alive!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    when wrapping 1.5 tbl spoons with soda water  (thats an old school tenderizer). no more than that or it will turn it into potroast, you can wrap it dry as well. most people dont cook it high enough in temp, you need to get it over 205. heres the writup for that one
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/224650/pulled-beef

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    I've got to try one.

2 questions:

1) Which chuck roast recipe gives the most smoked flavor to the roast? 
    I really want it to taste like it came off of the egg, not just out of a crock pot...

2) What do I look for when selecting a chuck roast for purchase ?
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @jerryp, I have been told you can make burnt ends as well with a chuck roast.  I one in the freezer I may try on Sunday and see. I will be running around 250 and will check it at 180 or so, if it seems tender enough I will let it restI will be running around 250 and will check it at 180 or so, if it seems tender enough I will let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes, cube them up add some more rub and sauce and put them back on for another hour or two till tender.  If it is still pretty firm I will wait till 195 to do the everything.  I may pick up another 2 so I have left overs.  A 3 lb chuck is going to shrink pretty good.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RayNap03
    RayNap03 Posts: 3
    Options
    My father-in-law slaughtered a cow and we got half of it so I ended up with a few bone in chuck roasts. I just put a basic beef rub on it and cooked it indirect at 225 for a few hours until the internal temp hit 140. We cut it into pieces like little steaks and didn't have leftovers. Sorry, no pics. I'm new to the forum and didn't think to take any. 
    Large BGE
    FW, TX
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Last night I had smoked beef tenderloin at my BGE dealer's store (He does feedbags under the guise of "cooking class") - I would never have thought to low and slow a cut so lean and tender already... but it was outstanding.

No reason at all not to smoke a chuck, or anything else that makes you happy.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Thanks @fishlessman I'll give this a shot. 
    Snellville, GA

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • NonaScott
    Options
    Hmmm ...my link isn't working but on page 3 there is a thread called "tonight's dinner on the way" . It was great
    Narcoossee, FL

• NonaScott
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Narcoossee, FL

• NonaScott
    Options
    Uncle
    Narcoossee, FL

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited April 2016
    Options
    NonaScott said:
    Uncle
    ;)

When I clicked on your last link, it didn't work, but I noticed that there was no colon after the "http" and before the "//".  When I inserted one, it worked fine.  If you're typing these in yourself, it's safer to just copy and paste them.  On a preview, anyway, this link worked for your page, so I think it'll work when I post it.
  • NonaScott
    Options
    Theophan said:
    NonaScott said:
    Uncle
    ;)

When I clicked on your last link, it didn't work, but I noticed that there was no colon after the "http" and before the "//".  When I inserted one, it worked fine.  If you're typing these in yourself, it's safer to just copy and past them.  On a preview, anyway, this link worked for your page, so I think it'll work when I post it.
    Thanks
    Narcoossee, FL

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    You're very welcome, and BTW, your cook looked WONDERFUL, and I copied your directions, will try it one of these days.  I've never made pulled beef.  I have Clay's recipe and now yours.  Thanks!
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    I cooked one a few weeks ago. It was so good I bought another. It did not work so well. Cooked both at 250 dome after using Worcestershire sauce as a rub. Both were around 2 1/2 lbs. The first was great, fall apart at 200 in five hours. The second was stalled around 160 after four and a half so I foiled it and raised temp to around 350. It finally came to internal of around 200, but the thermometer was hard to push in and the meat was tough.
    If I had left the second alone, it probably would have ended up at 200 - eventually, but eating supper at 10:00 pm did not seem like a good idea.
    I'll try again some day.

Cooking on the coast
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    You don't want to kick the temp up much on these or they will dry out bad. I just picked up a pretty 2.5lber to cook tomorrow.