Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

to inject or not to inject?

Options
JeffM
JeffM Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Do most of you guys inject your Boston butts for pulled pork or just rub? If you do inject is there a simple recipe? Thanks

Comments

• Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    Personally, I never inject. In my experience, the fewer holes in the flesh of whatever I'm cooking, the better it usually turns out.

However some people swear by it, and with good reason... injecting can result in a flavor profile you just can't get without it.

My advice: try it both ways (more excuses to egg!) and see what you & your family & your friends prefer :D
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    I just use rub. I have never had an injection cook that I was satisfied with. But that is just my opinion.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    never have. doesn't mean I think it would be bad, it means I like it with just rub............and I don't own an injector. :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• apollo140140
    Options
    I have done it both ways and both ways turned out very well both ways. The injected meat seemed to have a little more flavor throughout the meat where as the rubbed just had a bit crispier flavored outer edge.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I do unless I forget - Pineapple juice (6oz can), real maple syrup (couple tbsp), couple swishes of Worcestershire and a shot of Bourbon... actually I never measure..

Other times I just rub... but I like the injected....both are very good.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Options
    Tried it both ways and almost everyone who has tasted both prefers the injected one. I inject it with Butchers pork injection (link below--their brisket injection is awesome as well) which is a high quality product used by many competitors. It is much juicier and flavorful using the injection.

I inject it, rub yellow mustard on it, put rub on it, let it settle in the fridge for 4-6 hours, put on Egg at 235 until it reaches 195-198.

http://www.butcherbbq.com/#!injections