Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yay! 2nd egg ordered! Will be here Friday.

Options
Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just ordered a mini to complement my large.

Looking forward to being able to cook smaller meals on a more regular basis :D

Now to figure out what to cook first!

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Awesome! Someday I hope to add a mini or small to my compliment my large.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Options
    I wanted the small, but my wife persuaded me to get the mini.

"The mini is perfect for small cooks during the week"

"If you need to smoke or do low-n-slows, you can use the large"

"The mini is perfect for high-heat searing close to the coals!"

"The mini is like a barbecue microwave!"

"It uses less lump and gets to temp faster than a small"

"It's so CUTE!!!"

etc.

Very hard to argue with her logic, but I agreed with the understanding that if the mini is TOO mini, I can further complement my egg collection with a small or medium in the future. :D
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Rezen73 wrote:
    "The mini is like a barbecue microwave!"

This is what I always say! I light it with a weedburner, and put the meat on once I turn the weedburner off. It really is like a microwave.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

You have both a small and mini? Which egg do you do your pizza's on?

• cookingdude555
    Options
    I do pizzas on the Large, Medium, and the Bubba Keg. I tried it on the small, but it was more challenging. While I have had my small really really hot, its just not as effortless as the other eggs. I haven't done it on the mini yet, I don't have a mini woo for it, and I can eat a bigger pie than the mini can put out :laugh: .
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I just saw some pictures that Photo Egg has with pizza on his small. That really looks like a good pizza setup. He has a real hot lump bed, plate setter spacer and the pizza stone. Much like other egg setups but maybe a little bigger spacer between the setter and stone.

However, there is that pizza size limit. If I keep the small I think I am going to cut the vent hole out and install a large/medium lower vent assembly and may modify the fire box opening. I really don't expect the base to need warranty replacement.

Kent
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Here is my small pizza setup:

IMG_1071.jpg

I cut a custom pizza stone with a tile saw, I think it is 10.75". I put it on the gratemates, and the platesetter is below that. It works pretty good because it puts the stone high in the dome for bouncing heat off of the dome, and gives a space in between. My small just has heat up issues that I have corrected with a expanded metal fire grate (high airflow), and your aluminum rope idea wedged around the fire ring. I did all of this before I got the medium, and that kind of replaced the small for pizza work, that medium is a jet engine with that new fire box and ring.

I like your idea of making the inlet bigger and using a damper from the med/lg. Even warranty issues aside, I think a new base is below a few hundred bucks.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thanks the pictures. If I end up keeping the small I'll order the GreatMates also, they seem to be a nice accessory.

I need to go to Lowes and get some expanded metal, that's a good idea for the fire grate. I am also going to pick up a small vent tube to make a tunnel when lighting.