Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

O/T ? garlic

MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
edited 6:00PM in EggHead Forum
IMAG0465-1.jpg
we well Neil planted 350 heads last oct.
IMAG0470-1.jpg
it is up to his waist now :)
IMAG0466-1.jpg
and the scapes are coming out!!
so will be harvesting those soon. last year we waited till the first and second curl. but we found them tough. so going to try taking them just before the first curl starts and see if that makes a diff.

Comments

• cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Pretty dang jealous of that Julie!! Next year. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • garcia77garcia77 Posts: 26
    That's great stuff I can only dream of having that ability..
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,347
    Impressive. Future good eats :laugh:
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Awsome!!
    We have a garlic festival in September, I can't wait :)

Shane
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,769
    Mr Holloway..............where are you; Gilroy?
    Wow! :lol:
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • DreggsDreggs Posts: 147
    No vampires in Gilroy.
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    :laugh: :laugh:
    Hey John
    No, the festival is in Stratford, Ontario :)

Shane
  • PhilOshPhilOsh Posts: 84
    I'm new to growing garlic and am getting those scapes now too. I'm just chopping them up for stir frys and in place of cloves. Is there another way to use them? Also, how long do I have to wait before the underground cloves are fully formed?
    Thanks, Phil
  • ranger rayranger ray Posts: 812
    where do you get your"seed: garliic from to get started? thanks! ray
  • Bear 007Bear 007 Posts: 343
    Most impressive Julie
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    Ray, check for any local farmers markets or co-ops. if there is nothing like that near you there are some very good sites online to order from. you can even just plant a few cloves from the stuff in the stores but we did not have real good luck with that. lots of tiny cloves. we have not ordered from this site but they have all diff kinds offered
    http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/index.htm
    here is a good sheet of info Phil, last year we waited to long to cut the scapes and they were tough and woody.
    http://www.naturalhub.com/grow_vegetable_type_garlic.htm
    harvesting is different for different kinds.. you kind of have to eye ball them LOL when they are about 2/3 gone by. then pull one and see how it looks. we put about 2 feet of straw over them after we planted last year and have not had to pull a single weed this year. we also planted much closer and have about a 6 foot wide row, with the garlic all about 6 inches apart.
    sooner than that Molly we will start harvesting in about a month for the early ones :) next year he is going to put in more.. we think this will be next years Christmas gifts LOL garlic press, one of his nice small cutting boards and a dozen bulbs. I like simple :)
  • PhilOshPhilOsh Posts: 84
    Thanks for the info. Very helpful.
    Phil
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Sounds perfect Julie.
    Have fun next weekend, pictures please. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
    oh yes many pics LOL But with the line up we have showing up it will be good! of course with my parents, sister, son and grandson there....... I have to behave....So I will be the good girl I always am :whistle:
  • Cpt'n CookCpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Here's some that we are growing
    DSC_0104.jpg
    Nice :) you are ahead of us that is for sure!
  • Cpt'n CookCpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I have about a tenth of what you have, I have Garlic envy :laugh:

This is our first attempt at garlic.
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,360
    350 heads?!?!? That's almost one a day! :blink:

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,392
    Julie, you'd better get out your 40 cloves of garlic recipe......I think you'll be needing it. :lol: