Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Eye of round cooked and sliced!

smbishopsmbishop Posts: 1,870
edited 2:02AM in EggHead Forum
3.5 lbs rubbed with evo, kosher salt and pepper, with about 10 garlic cloves stuffed in the meat. Cooked at 375-400 indirect for about 1.5 hours. Rest in foil for 30 minutes and into the fridge overnight. Used a borrowed meat slicer and found it a bit difficult to get really thin. I am thinking a newer slicer will work better:

002-37.jpg

004-37.jpg

002-38.jpg

004-38.jpg

008-34.jpg

In the last photo you can see my lonely gas grill, hasn't been touched since the arrival of the egg! :laugh:
Large, Small, and a LOT of Eggcessories!  Southlake, TX

Comments

• MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    even if they are thick they sure look good! I picked up 1 of my slicers at a yard sale and I have one I got at BB & beyond. handy to have that is for sure. and both will do a nice shaving no problem. I bet it was just cause that one was old maybe. Nice looking cook though! get is still tastes great!!
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,181
    Nice looking meal. I have had the same slicer, like your borrowed one, for 15+ years and it still cuts very thin. Paid $3 for it in a garage sale.
  • wkygrillerwkygriller Posts: 408
    Scott,
    Looks great!!!
    I agree that it needs to be thinner, but I'm sure it will still make great sammies ;)
  • Mr HollowayMr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Nice job Scott
    We always have eye of round on sale, will have to pick one up and give it a try :)

Shane
  • Gator Bait Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Looks great! I still slice the old fashion way with a good sharp knife. HERE is the last Eye that I did, long over due for another. :)

Blair

• Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,815
    Gator, thanks for the link. That really, really looks good. They really do need a drooling emotion :lol:
    Large, small and mini SW Austin
  • Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,815
    Now you have done it. Not my most favorite cut of meat, but you look good. Cut it thin, add grilled onion and cheese on a roll slathered with horseradish mayo, yum
    Large, small and mini SW Austin
  • smbishopsmbishop Posts: 1,870
    That sounds like a perfect suggestion!
    Yep, the garlic added some nice flavor...
    It was my first attempt with a slicer. It didn't seem to have much power, the motor slowed way down when it hit the meat...
    Thanks Ricard!
    It was in the freezer, so I cooked it! :)
    I will have to try the bacon wrap next time!

My pleasure Joan, I like to experiment and with the bacon and bacon drippings I was trying to add some fat that cut doesn't have. ;)

Gator

Hey Scott, in hind sight I probably could have thrown the bacon back on the egg after the eye was done and finished cooking it. Then I could have sliced it very thin and mixed it back in with the beef. It would have had even more flavor. :)

Blair

ooh, sounds like a good plan next time!