Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Today's cook: surf & turf - tons of pics!

Options
Rezen73
Rezen73 Posts: 356
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Baby back ribs
Ribeye
Watercress Salad
Corn on the Firestick
Seared scallops with ginger cilantro beurre blanc
Asparagus with hollandaise
Grilled tiger prawn with cocktail sauce
Garlic parmesan mashed potatoes

Holy crap, it sure didn't seem like I cooked this much until I downloaded the pics... this was a REALLY involved cook!

So my wife doesn't really like steaks, so I agreed to cook up a batch of babyback ribs, since I was having ribeye...

Very basic rub (two types of paprika, granulated garlic, parseley, mexican oregano, greek oregano, basil, salt, pepper) ... rubbed onto the ribs after drizzling a wee bit of apple cider vinegar to help the rub "stick":

IMG_5760.jpg

Next are the Corn on the Firesticks ... very basic, just corn on the cob drizzled with ghee, black peppercorns, granulated garlic, and Dave's Insanity Spice (e.g. habanero pepper flakes).

IMG_5762.jpg

For the asparagus, I broke off the woody stems by hand, then cut them all down to be the same size. Drizzled with a wee bit of ghee, kosher salt, and black peppercorns. Didn't want to mess with 'em too much, as I made hollandaise to go along with it...

IMG_5763.jpg

For the watercress salad, I just tossed some watercress, cilantro, chopped red onion, green olives, kalamata olives, garlic, and english cucumber with a red wine vinagairette.

IMG_5764.jpg

Ribs on the grill.

IMG_5765.jpg

Cocktail sauce for the tiger prawns: ketchup, sriracha, prepared horseradish, salt & pepper. and a wee squeeze of lemon & zest.

IMG_5766.jpg

Herbed horseradish cream sauce for the steak. Prepared horseradish, heavy cream, sour cream, cilantro, oregeno, marjoram, lemon & zest, salt & pepper, pureed in a food processor.

IMG_5767.jpg

Zea (whom we just got out of quarantine on Wednesday), taking a much deserved nap while I cook. ;)

IMG_5770.jpg

The beast! The fat kind of looks like the Wall from Game of Thrones. haha

IMG_5773.jpg

I didn't mess with the steak. Cracked black peppercorns & kosher salt.

IMG_5782.jpg

Prep for the ginger cilantro beurre blanc - some ginger, cilantro, habaneros, jalapenos, and garlic, roughly chopped in the blitzer. I wanted a coarse texture so I could extract the flavors, but make it easy to strain out of the sauce.

IMG_5776.jpg

Lucky me - my wife baked some bread while I was cooking. The kitchen smelled unbelievable! I had to take a wee break to partake in some freshly baked bread ;)

IMG_5784.jpg

Ribs are getting there ... starting to look really good :D

IMG_5788.jpg

The next door neighbors were having a party, and hired an inflatable playground. Kinda creepy having a giant gorilla looking over the fence watching me cook. haha

IMG_5790.jpg

Zea, checking me out ;)

IMG_5792.jpg

Time to whip up some simple honey-garlic barbecue sauce. Can't really find any good barbecue sauce here (that I've found, anyway). Ketchup, honey, brown sugar, lazy garlic, smoked paprika, sweet paprika, marjoram, oregano, basil, salt, pepper.

IMG_5799.jpg

Ribs are sauced!

IMG_5807.jpg

Garlic ready to be roasted on the egg.

IMG_5813.jpg

Golden fingerling potatoes boiling away...

IMG_5817.jpg

Tiger prawns taking a swim in a salt & sugar brine. Again, not much fussing about. :D

IMG_5819.jpg

Ribs are done, and were amazing. I only had one, but my wife finished off half the rack as I cooked...

IMG_5821.jpg

IMG_5824.jpg

IMG_5826.jpg

Garlic & Corn on the Firesticks roasting.

IMG_5832.jpg

Asparagus ready to go on.

IMG_5833.jpg

IMG_5835.jpg

Asparagus all done.

IMG_5837.jpg

Time for the surf - stainless steel pain preheating. Egg was rocking about 625 or so, so it didn't take long...

IMG_5886.jpg

IMG_5840.jpg

Diver Scallops. They literally only cooked for about 60 seconds each side.

IMG_5851.jpg

IMG_5863.jpg

Tiger prawns. Again, they only took about 60 seconds each side. Had to have my wife take these pictures since they cooked so fast!

IMG_5875.jpg

IMG_5877.jpg

Zea hoping beyond hope that I drop one on the ground for her. ;)

IMG_5881.jpg

Wee bit of oil on the cast iron grate...

IMG_5882.jpg

Steak on.

IMG_5884.jpg

IMG_5885.jpg

Let is sear for about 8 or 9 minutes, then flipped, closed the dome, and killed the vents to let it finish cooking.

IMG_5887.jpg

Preparing the beurre blanc in the same pan I seared the scallops & shrimp in... although it was more like a beurre vert, since it had a wee greenish hue due to the cilantro...

IMG_5894.jpg

Steak resting.

IMG_5895.jpg

The money shot! Everything plated. The steak was awesome - perfectly seared but still rare... almost "black & blue" rare. Was an awesome meal, but the kitchen was destroyed. haha.

IMG_5912.jpg

Comments