Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mistake???

Options
mimauler
mimauler Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought the BGE instant thermometer, and obvisously it does not read instantly....any tricks to getting it to read faster? Has not been used yet overall would I expect it to work correctly? Thanks

Comments

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I love BGE and their products.

That said, when I tested mine out against a variety of other thermometers, even my old analog dial thermometer read faster.

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2009/11/probing-questions-about-thermometers.html

For the money, I would buy two Taylor Weekend Warrior instant reads.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Options
    I have one and don't like it either. It takes way too long. By the time it reads temp, my hand is a good medium rare. I got mine for free at an eggfest, so I'm making do, but the thermapen is about next in line on my list. Take it back if you can and get a thermapen. :)
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    I have had no luck with cheaper instant read thermometers. From what I remember reading the term "instant" refers to it's reading refresh rate. A digital thermometer may take new readings every second or faster, but it takes the probe up to like 30 seconds to fully heat up.
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    Most "instant" thermometers are around 10 seconds to read the temp. There is no way to make it faster. I got really good at guessing the temp before the 10 sec based on how fast the temp was moving.

To test- fill a glass with ice and add water. Put the thermometer in and time how long it takes to get to 32.

The thermapen is around $80 but it can get a temp in 3 seconds, it's worth the money.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Return it and get a T-pen. B)
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    Thanks then it looks like the consensus is the "Thermapen"...anyone have any problems with it?
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Thermopens are pretty much trouble free and they truly are instant. They are a pricy compared to the other stuff out there but they are what they say they are, "instant" :)
    There are several sources for them on line, but probably the best for us is forum member "Mollyshark", very good price and quick service. Contact her through the forum, she will hook you up :cheer:
    They also come with a guarantee, the cheap ones do not.
  • Egg Master 3000
    Options
    The only potential problem is that little tip can be rather sharp :laugh:

No it is the best.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    I have a $16 instant read that works within 2 seconds. How you ask? Before placing in the meat hold it over the coals so it reads the temperature that you want. Once close now push in in the meat and it will read much much faster.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Mine takes about 10 seconds to settle in. That fine except when I'm trying to read something on the grill. 10 seconds will cook your hand. I finally sprung for the extra bucks (3 times the cost) and bought an instant read that reads in about 3 seconds. I now use it around the house and relegated my old one to the lake cabin.
  • Jimbob
    Jimbob Posts: 54
    Options
    I have a Thermopen and in no way does it read in 3 seconds like some people says that their does. Don't know if my doesn't work properly but it has been like that since it was new.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Send it back, they will fix it B)