Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Brisket Flat

Rolling EggRolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited 11:31PM in EggHead Forum
Egged up a 6 pound choice brisket flat tonight that I picked up at the local grocer for an embarassing 5.50/lb :blush: . Those things are worse than pork butts on pricing this year. I had to have it though, as I usually can't find them that heavy around here. It was real uniform in thickness, which is what I like. I rubbed it with Plowboys Bovine Bold Rub (first time use). Put it on the large at 250 dome and I think it went around 7 hours. Glazed it right before finish and snapped a few photos before foiling it for a 30 minute rest. Outstanding! Very moist and extremely tender. I was shooting for it to pull almost like pork, and that's very very close to what it did. On a another note, I am the proud owner of a brand new XL egg that I picked up Wednesday. Me and Gene are going to start it off right, with a load of chicken or ribs next Saturday for the Best Buckin BBQ comp in Athens, Al. This gives us the opportunity to use two XL's during comps. We are very excited! Hope all has a great evening!
Trimmed
IMG_8516-1.jpg
Rubbed
IMG_8518.jpg
Rubbed
IMG_8540.jpg
On the large
IMG_8521.jpg
Glazed
IMG_8529.jpg
Waiting on the knife
IMG_8541.jpg
Sliced
IMG_8545.jpg
IMG_8551.jpg

And the XL patiently waiting for the comp
IMG_8556.jpg

Comments

• Rezen73Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Brisket looks awesome. Nicely done. :D
  • elzbthelzbth Posts: 2,075
    Some things are just worth the money :laugh: That brisket looks awesome...making me hungry! ;)
  • CrimsongatorCrimsongator Posts: 5,791
    You didn't listen to a thing I suggested. You are just like my kids :-)
  • JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    That close up of it sliced looks pic perfect!! ;) What temp you pull it at?
  • transversaltransversal Posts: 719
    What sauce did you use, Heath?
  • Rolling EggRolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Pulled it at 200. Thanks!
    It's a home made sauce that I mixed some beef broth with to thin it out.
  • Wow, that looks awesome!
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    Nice Heath :) and the XL...... very very nice :) and do not listen to a thing Gene says......
  • Le Oeuf VertLe Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    That brisket looks like it came out great. The sliced photos really show it off good. Best of luck at the competition.
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,278
    I hear you about the brisket. My wife picked up a packer brisket for me and the whole thing weighs less than 9 lbs! I've never had one that small. She said the others were all $40 to $50 so she grabbed that one.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
    Heath, Ive been having a heck of a time finding decent sized choice brisket flats over here. Used to be able to get'em up to 10-11 pounds with no problem. More typial size now in most butcher shops is 6-7 with 8-9 being the exception. And they have gotten a ton more expensive.......I think because they are more popular as the price of beef soars.
  • BotchBotch Posts: 4,900
    Very moist-looking, especially with no fat cap to speak of. Congrats!

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    Same here. I stumble upon a whole brisket with a nice uniform flat, or a six pound flat by itself about once every 4 or 5 months. Very frustrating. I hit every store in a 30 mile radius.
  • FluffybFluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Looks outstanding Heath!
    Same here, Heath.
  • great photos of flat...i am now ready to go fire up my xl and get after it....

by the way how do you tavel with your xl and protect it?

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

Load it up, ratchet strap it to the bed, and roll. I do take the inside ceramics out though. Lighter to load, so I just leave them out till I unload.