Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Long Cook - need advice

Options
jasperga
jasperga Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Eggers -- I purchased a new Stoker and did a trial burn to make sure I could use it and StokerLog to control my BGE. It went perfectly! Now, I am preparing to do my first long cook and I have a question concerning lump burn time. I plan on cooking at 230 deg F and am planning on doing a 9 pound Boston Butt. The question is, how can I ensure that I will have enough lump for a long cook like this. How much lump should I load in the BGE? I would appreciate any advice you might offer a newbie on preparing for a long burn like this. I don't know what I don't know, so please offer any advice you think necessary.

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Easy, just fill it up to the top of the fire ring, just a little below your plate setter or whatever you are using for indirect. Suggest you cook at 250 instead of 230. Food will get done quicker and use less lump.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    A full load on my large (to the top of the fire ring) will go 34 plus hours at that temp
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    jasperga, Not sure what size egg you have but, I fill my large almost to the top of the fire ring. I have a CyberQ II and I smoke at 250F dome temp and bring my butts to 195F - 205F internal temp. You will see if you smoke your butts at a low temp close to the finish pull temp it will take forever to get there. Have fun with your stoker. Tim :)
  • jasperga
    jasperga Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies -- and yes, I just bookmarked the FAQ -- duh -- I appreciate the posts !
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

PhilsGrill had got you covered. With lump level to the top of the fire ring you should you should get well over 24 hours of cooking time with most lump. 230° at grate level is OK but I would bump the pit temperature up a little. Light in several places and don't let the temperature go high before controlling the temperature, other words work up to cook temperature and stabilize.

On this particular brisket cook I lit the lump and let it go too hot. You can see in the chart below other than 1 short time the blower didn't even come on for 7 1/2 hours into the cook (vertical lines at the bottom of the cart is the blower on marks). The brisket came out great by-the-way.

brisketlog.jpg

This is all pretty easy. Have a good cook.