Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rig vs. Vertical Ribs

Options
dsmith
dsmith Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've never smoked ribs before but am planning on smoking 8 racks of St. Louis spare ribs on Father's Day. (XL egg)

I'm considering using an inverted V-rack and doing them vertically but am strongly considering buying the XL rig at the Ceramic Grill Store and doing them horizontally on the stacked grates. I think long-term the rig sounds great but I'm concerned about getting it in time and need to order it today if I'm going to use it this weekend.

My question is this:

How much downside is there to cooking ribs vertically? I'm concerned about the need to finish them up horizontally with the sauce and not having the room. On the other hand, I've seen posts where people have crammed 9 racks simply on the main grate using a vertical deal.

thanks,

Darin

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Give Tom at CGS a call, he can get you the rig by the weekend if you hurry :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Some things to consider, if you are making wet ribs and your sauce is somewhat runny, putting the sauce on a vertical piece will have a tendency to run off before it sets.

I can successfully cook vertical if the lump is not too close to the platesetter or whatever else I am using for indirect cooking. I have to watch the cook to make sure the vertical cooking does not cook one side of the rack more than the other. I ended up having to rotate the racks during the cook.

Recently I have seen some folks pile the racks on top of one another. I am not sure how the stacking method works our.

Dry ribs are easier to cook vertically for me. Wet ribs I end up laying flat for about 15 minutes, the finish had to be staggered.

• dsmith
    Options
    I was planning on rubbing the ribs and cooking for a few hours before I put the sauce on. Honestly, I have NEVER cooked ribs before. My wife has always roasted baby backs in the oven (and they are delicious) but I've had an itch to smoke ribs ever since I got my egg last December.

I'm still researching and learning what to do during the actual smoke.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    As GG has said, doing them vertical often makes for more work. They don't seem to cooks as evenly. The top gets drier than the bottom, and needs some spritzing.

I've never tried saucing vertical ribs. Usually I am doing them that way 'cause I haven't enough space. I wouldn't be able to get sauce on them evenly enough.

If you don't get the rig, consider finishing flat in the oven. It isn't a matter of cooking at that point, just getting the sauce set up.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    for a first cook i would do them verticle. flat is more a presentation thing.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Oh man, ribs on the egg are great.

Wet
    ribswet1.jpg

dry
    ribs1.jpg

I like cooking dry then heating some table sauce for the folks.

• dsmith
    Options
    Amazing how hungry I get when I talk about this stuff. Those ribs look very YUMMY!
  • dsmith
    Options
    Capt. Frank wrote:
    Give Tom at CGS a call, he can get you the rig by the weekend if you hurry :)

I just spoke with Tom and if I order today I should get them no problem...probably fine if I order it tomorrow too.

How many racks can I cook using the xl rig, u think?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

When you cook vertical are you turning the ribs. Always seems to be a necessity for me.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thanks, I mostly follow Mike's Rib Class. The wet ribs were not sauces as heavily as a lot of others do. I did it to get the picture. I like eating the dry cook method a bit better than the wet.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options

Again talk with Tom to settle on your set up. Make sure you ask Tom for all the accessories, bars and such you need. I didn't think about the cross bars and had to re-order some parts to get my set up where it should have been.

I love Tom's tools, they have my egg life a much easier.

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I gotta second what GG said. The rig just makes an extremely versatile cooker, somehow even more versatile. Not sure what kind of cooks you will be doing but I'd recommend the spider too. Tom's stuff is first rate. I can think of maybe two cooks that I have done since I got the rig that I haven't used it and I cook 2-4 times a week. Best of luck with your ribs regardless which direction you go.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

By all means if the Spider or the like is available for you egg

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    dsmith wrote:
    I was planning on rubbing the ribs and cooking for a few hours before I put the sauce on. Honestly, I have NEVER cooked ribs before. My wife has always roasted baby backs in the oven (and they are delicious) but I've had an itch to smoke ribs ever since I got my egg last December.

I'm still researching and learning what to do during the actual smoke.

I wouldn't put the sauce on after a few hours. Wait until they are done and then sauce for 15-20 minutes. Plan on +/- 6 hours for BBs at 250 dome but you should really use the tong test to see if they are done. Bend to almost 90 degrees or come close to breaking when picked up with tongs and about 3/4" pull back on the bones
    IMG_4387800x600.jpg

ood luck with it and have plenty napkins handy B)
  • Medium-Rare
    Options
    Everything I read so far is the same advice I followed. Couple of mistakes I made worth mentioning.
    1) Make sure you've allowed the VOC's to burn off before you put the ribs on. Nice clean smoke.
    2) Don't go too heavy with the smoking wood. Smoke is definitely a personal taste (and my wife doesn't like them too smokey).
    3) Let them go until they are done. It is worth the wait.

I pulled the platesetter and cooked direct when I put the sauce on for the last twenty minutes or so. I also spritzed with apple juice every hour after the first two hours. This might have increased the time to cook, but it was worth it.
  • Jolly Bill Barker
    Options
    I know you already purchased the rig and that is great. You will love it.

Lets just say you want to try a rack someday...

Cook them in the rack for the first hour and half with a dry rub

Then follow the recipe in the book that came with your egg.

This is the only way I have ever done them since I got my egg. They have always turned out so well I figured why mess with it.

It is simple and you could do a whole lot of ribs this way with your XL.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I have had some great ribs but I have never, not once, had a bend like that or even close.

• dsmith
    Options
    Yeah, I purchased the rig combo pack with an extra glide/bars and oval rack. I talked to Tom around 5pm eastern time and he sent it same day. It should be here tomorrow. It comes with a spider as well.

It was about $200 shipped but I'm having faith that it will be well worth it. Thankfully, I can afford that without any heartburn. Egging is my new hobby and I'm hoping to get years of fun, tasty food, cholesterol, and fat intake out of it!
  • dsmith
    Options
    I am going to follow the rub found here:
    http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

So, sounds like I should cook till done. Removed and put on some sauce and then put back on grill for 15-20 minutes.

Sound about right?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    turn flip rotate turn flip rotate, if anything burns its usually just the tips
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    You got it

Enjoy the smoke

Have plenty napkins on hand

You are going to be a hero with your judges :)
  • dsmith
    Options
    From the forum posts today it sounds like this forum may go away (I hope this is only rumor). If it is still around, I'll post some pix this weekend.

I'm REALLY hoping this forum stays around. I have really enjoyed learning from you guys and gals.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options