Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My best pizza yet

Options
3Pedals6Speeds
3Pedals6Speeds Posts: 439
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
At the risk of being immodest, last night I pulled the best pizza I've ever made off the BGE:

255703_225593604135394_100000542670982_870421_7407192_n.jpg

Crust was perfect, and vanished in moments (5 teenaged boys at the house). Ignore the foot, schtick at my place to put your foot in pictures.

Comments

• Chuck222
    Chuck222 Posts: 67
    Options
    Great looking pizza, Yum!
  • MO Mule
    MO Mule Posts: 81
    Options
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    ain't nuthin wrong with a pat on the shoulder for a job well done.
    context is important :)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks pretty good from where I'm sitting.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jimi1234
    jimi1234 Posts: 101
    Options
    Damn that looks good.

Can you give details on how you did it? I am going to pick up a pizza stone and have seen a ton of pizza posts with a few different cook methods.

That looks about perfect to me so might as well use your method if you don't mind :)

I have never done anything at high temps. How do you stabilize the egg at 600 or 650 deg? What are your vent and wheel settings (roughly).

Also, I have read about bringing the stone up to temp. Do you just put it in while bringing the egg up to temp?

One more....I have read you want stabilize the stone temperature - especially if you are doing multiple pies. How is this achieved? Does a stabilized egg mean you will also have a stabilized stone?

Thanks!
    Jimi1234
  • 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    jimi1234 wrote:
    Damn that looks good.

Can you give details on how you did it? I am going to pick up a pizza stone and have seen a ton of pizza posts with a few different cook methods.

That looks about perfect to me so might as well use your method if you don't mind :)

I have never done anything at high temps. How do you stabilize the egg at 600 or 650 deg? What are your vent and wheel settings (roughly).

Also, I have read about bringing the stone up to temp. Do you just put it in while bringing the egg up to temp?

One more....I have read you want stabilize the stone temperature - especially if you are doing multiple pies. How is this achieved? Does a stabilized egg mean you will also have a stabilized stone?

Thanks!
    Jimi1234

Jimi - I run the Egg at 500, no more. When I get it higher (others have more luck) I get a burnt crust. I put the platesetter and stone in from the git go, and when the whole thing gets to 500, I start making pizza. The air gap between the platesetter and the stone is CRITICAL. Without it, you have sever hot spots on the stone. I occasionally still get hot spots, when that happens, I rotate the stone 180 degrees (fire proof gloves). Vent setting vary depending upon load of lump. Generally wide open at the bottom, then I adjust the top to keep whatever I need. I no longer use cheap fast burning lump for pizza, I almost always make 10 pies or so when I make it (teenaged sons and their friends) and I find that I cannot keep a setting for >1hr with cheap lump. Recently that has meant Wicked Good for me, but the higher quality Royal Oak and the BGE work too.

For pizza dough, I use this recipe: http://theitaliandishblog.com/imported-20090913150324/2008/2/28/pizza-the-homemade-kind.html
  • 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    Also - I put the pizza on on parchment paper, pull the paper after 2 minutes, then let it go 4-7 more minutes. I try and rotate the pizza once during the cook after the 2 minutes with the paper.

Don't put a lot of wet stuff on the pizza. The more wet stuff (fresh mozzarella, uncooked veggies, sauce) the worse the pizza in my book. That pizza had 3 soup spoons (like you eat off, not ladles) of crushed tomato (not tomato sauce) only, spread real thin.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Nice foot B)

Nice Za too :)
  • jimi1234
    jimi1234 Posts: 101
    Options
    Fantastic. Thanks a lot.

Jimi
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options