Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Redfish/Scallops and lemon-garlic butter sauce

Misippi EggerMisippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited 11:29PM in EggHead Forum
Freezer clean-out. I found a redfish filet (we call 'on the halfshell' when we filet with the skin and scales still on). It was frozen in water and had a date of 2004 on it. Not sure what I would have, but when thawed it had no freezer burn or bad areas and smell OK. ;) Scallops were vac-sealed in January.
Coated the redfish evenly with a light coating of Hoover's sauce, a little lemon juice and a liberal sprinkling of Prudhomme's Redfish Blackening seasoning. Grilled flesh down for 3 minutes, then flipped and finished until internal of 120*.
DSC_0390-1.jpg
Covered with foil while I got the scallops going. Seared in butter in a CI skillet after the fish was removed. I seasoned with a little sea salt and DP Raging River.
DSC_0392-1.jpg
I removed and covered the scallops, added a couple of cloves of garlic, lemon juice and reduced. Removed from the heat and whisked in some cold butter.
Plated: Redfish, scallops and the lemon-garlic butter sauce.
DSC_0394.jpg
Not bad for a freezer clean-out meal ! :)

Comments

• BBQMavenBBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Oh my!!!!
    Clark - that looks great... good to see you post up!
    Kent Madison MS
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Nice Clark!
    I am also working on freezerS clean out. :whistle: :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,953
    Beautiful, Clark !

I love redfish !!!! I usually blacken it though with Paul Prudhomme's. Your's looks great too.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Loved it Clark Delicioso
  • Misippi EggerMisippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Thanks. Hope you guys are doing well !
    Gotta make room for new stuff --- to get lost, also . :laugh:
    thanks, Gary. First time I have used the Blackening Seasoning without blackening. It was good !!
    thanks, Beli. Healthy, simple meal. We served it with a loaded green salad (lettuce, strawberries, olives, tomatoes, shaved parmesian, Greek seasoning and EVOO.
  • I have dug fish out of the freezer up to 3 years old but never 7 :woohoo: :woohoo:

Looks great Clark :)

Doing some scallops tomorrow
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    SWEET! We always froze crappie in water,it would keep forever!But only if it got covered up by other stuff.Otherwise it did'nt last very long at all. :laugh: YUMMEE lookin vittles Clark.
    Frank, I was really surprised it was any good, but I always freeze my fish in water and freezer baggies. I guess it works. ;)
    Thanks, Hoss. We were really amazed it was good after 7 years!
  • elzbthelzbth Posts: 2,075
    Wow! Excellent freezer find...that redfish really looks tasty. :laugh:
  • The meal looks delicious, I am going to add to my future cook list!
  • "Sparky""Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Looks great from here Clark :) I wonder if I have any redfish hiding in my freezer :whistle: :P
    Thanks, Elizabeth. Afraid of what else I might find back in the depths of the freezer. :woohoo:
    David, I haven't been back to the Louisiana marshes fishing much since Katrina, but it's hard to beat fresh-caught redfish (unless it's frozen "fresh caught' redfish. :ohmy:
    Thanks, Doug. Ya know, you just never know what you will find way in the back of the ole freezer..... :huh: :)
    I hope you and your family are doing well....
  • Clark,
    I just can't stand it :angry:
    KNOWING what I'm missin' makes it SO HARD to look at your posts :P
    Thanks a lot :angry:

PS
    You and the princesses better make it to Plano 2011 or there WILL be trouble ;)
  • Yum... Glad it worked out so well.

Doug
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Thanks, Kari. Any dates out yet for Plano?
    Thanks, Doug. Haven't been to the Louisiana coast fishing since Katrina. Looks like I need to plan a fall trip to restock the freezer!
  • Looks like Nov 4 & 5th B)